Обсуждение: OSS RDBMS Features Compared

OSS RDBMS Features Compared

От
Sebastian Hetze
Дата:
Hi *,

for a migration project from MS SQL to some Open Source RDBMS we
have to evaluate the possible targets.

Since we expect this comparison to be of interest for several people
and projects out there, we post our currend findings with request
for feedback and comments. We will fold all additional information
into our document and post it again.

With this comparison we are definitely not making a statement about
one RDBMS being better than another. We have found and we are convinced
that there is no evidence at all to prefere one of them in general.
The purpose of this comparison is to find the best fit for a given
situation.

Attached you find a PDF document, I will send the OpenOffice file
for cooperative work upon request.

Yours faithfully,

  Sebastian Hetze
--
Sebastian Hetze            Linux Information Systems AG
                           Fon +49 (0)30 72 62 38-0         Ehrenbergstr. 19

Вложения

Re: OSS RDBMS Features Compared

От
"Orr, Steve"
Дата:
Wow, this is really good. I am in the midst of doing the same thing
and will contribute directly as comparison features are uncovered.
Here's one thing: You say that MySQL does not support transactions
but it does now with InnoDB.

Steve Orr

[...]

__

Re: OSS RDBMS Features Compared

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Orr, Steve wrote:

> Wow, this is really good. I am in the midst of doing the same thing
> and will contribute directly as comparison features are uncovered.
> Here's one thing: You say that MySQL does not support transactions
> but it does now with InnoDB.

Right, so MySQL doesn't suppor ttranscations, it only supports the abilty
to piggy-back over other DBs that do ... no? :)

> Steve Orr

Дата:
<GRIN> Transactions do seem to be an afterthought.
I'm kind of concerned that Heikki Tuuri is Innobase or a one man show.
Does anyone know the number of engineers actually working on on InnoDB?

> Wow, this is really good. I am in the midst of doing the same thing
> and will contribute directly as comparison features are uncovered.
> Here's one thing: You say that MySQL does not support transactions
> but it does now with InnoDB.

Right, so MySQL doesn't suppor ttranscations, it only supports the abilty
to piggy-back over other DBs that do ... no? :)

> Steve Orr

Mark Stosberg
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Sebastian Hetze wrote:

> With this comparison we are definitely not making a statement about
> one RDBMS being better than another. We have found and we are convinced
> that there is no evidence at all to prefere one of them in general.
> The purpose of this comparison is to find the best fit for a given
> situation.

Sebastian,

This looks good. One technical note. This draft says that Postgres
doesn't support "JOIN USING", but I believe it does. It's documented
here:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?queries-table-expressions.html
(and I've used it myself).

Also, a minor typo: "dokumentation" should be "documentation".

  -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/