Обсуждение: Searching accented words

Searching accented words

От
João Paulo Batistella
Дата:
Hi!

I have, in the same column, accented words and not.
But I don´t want to worry about it.

Imagine the table Person:
CREATE TABLE PERSON (name TEXT)

INSERT INTO PERSON VALUES ('José')
INSERT INTO PERSON VALUES ('Jose')

The following statement
SELECT * FROM PERSON WHERE NAME like 'José'
would return only the first row, because 'José' is an
accented word.

How can I perform a query that return the two rows, no
matter I pass 'José' or 'Jose' as parameter?

Thanks,
JP

Yahoo! Encontros
O lugar certo para encontrar a sua alma gêmea.
http://br.encontros.yahoo.com/

Re: Searching accented words

Дата:
=?iso-8859-1?q?Jo=E3o=20Paulo=20Batistella?= <batistellabr@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> How can I perform a query that return the two rows, no
> matter I pass 'Jos�' or 'Jose' as parameter?

If your locale is set up correctly, perhaps upper() would return
JOSE for both, and then you could search on upper(name) = 'JOSE'.
(You can make this fast with an index on upper(name).)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Searching accented words

От
tony