Обсуждение: High availibility with PostgreSQL

High availibility with PostgreSQL

От
IH8MSFT
Дата:
I am trying to present a convincing argument for the powers that be to
migrate from SQL Server 2000 / W2K Advanced Server at my work to PostgreSQL
or another open source database that can run on Linux.

I'm trying to find out what the current best solutions for failover are
currently available for PostgreSQL on Linux.  A commercial soultion would
be OK with us.

I've scoured google groups but only came up with the eserver stuff which
seems to have not been updated since 2000.

Is it feasible to replicate the data store of PostgreSQL?  Is it possible to
setup a log shipping like warm standby server soultion?  Is there anyway to
run PostgreSQL in a cluster?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Chris

Re: High availibility with PostgreSQL

От
"Henrik Steffen"
Дата:
try this page about load-balancing: http://dbbalancer.sourceforge.net/

didn't try it yet, but sounded interesting to me when I first came across it
this morning.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com          Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen@topconcepts.com       Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline:  +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563

> I am trying to present a convincing argument for the powers that be to
> migrate from SQL Server 2000 / W2K Advanced Server at my work to PostgreSQL
> or another open source database that can run on Linux.
>
> I'm trying to find out what the current best solutions for failover are
> currently available for PostgreSQL on Linux.  A commercial soultion would
> be OK with us.
>
> I've scoured google groups but only came up with the eserver stuff which
> seems to have not been updated since 2000.
>
> Is it feasible to replicate the data store of PostgreSQL?  Is it possible to
> setup a log shipping like warm standby server soultion?  Is there anyway to
> run PostgreSQL in a cluster?
>
> Thank you so much for your advice!
>
> Chris

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: High availibility with PostgreSQL

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 06:29:14AM +0000, IH8MSFT wrote:
> I'm trying to find out what the current best solutions for failover are
> currently available for PostgreSQL on Linux.  A commercial soultion would
> be OK with us.
>
> I've scoured google groups but only came up with the eserver stuff which
> seems to have not been updated since 2000.

We use it.  It works.  The commercial version from PostgreSQL, Inc.
is better than the code in contrib/ by a long shot.

It is _not_ a hot failover system, however, and I'm not even sure it
could be made so.  It's a store-and-forward sort of replication
system.  If the master database fails, you don't want one of the
slaves to take over automatically, because you'll have "stranded"
data -- stuff that made it in to your master before the failure, but
which did not get replicated.

If you are running high-quality servers, the chances of total failure
are not that big.  What is more likely is a sort of "emergency
shutdown" case, where you have to sync to the slave and then cut over
to it while you fix the (now former) master.  The rserv code will
allow you to do that, although it's a bit of a pain to resync the
systems.

I believe you can get more information from <pgsql@pgsql.com>.  I am
not associated with PostgreSQL, Inc, by the way, except as a
customer.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110