Обсуждение: Pushing PostgreSQL to the Limit (urgent!)

Pushing PostgreSQL to the Limit (urgent!)

От
Exellon
Дата:
    Hi all,
    I read Postgresql limits at postgresql.org:

   Maximum size for a database          unlimited (60GB databases exist)
   Maximum size for a table             64 TB on all operating systems
   Maximum size for a row               unlimited in 7.1 and later
   Maximum size for a field             1GB in 7.1 and later
   Maximum number of rows in a table    unlimited
   Maximum number of columns in a table 1600
   Maximum number of indexes on a table unlimited

    I have an app that uses a database with 60 tables and a mean of 5 fields in each table.
    I will put it to insert 30 M (millions) registers by month (or 1 Million by day) in a year is about 400 Millions
registers.
    Can pgsql support this? In What Machine?
    TIA,        Paulo Henrique.

--
Paulo Henrique B de Oliveira
Gerente de Operações - Linux Solutions - http://www.linuxsolutions.com.br

Re: Pushing PostgreSQL to the Limit (urgent!)

От
Arjen van der Meijden
Exellon wrote:
>     I have an app that uses a database with 60 tables and a mean of 5 fields in each table.
What kind of fields?
Are it all text fields, or just short varchar/integer fields etc?

>     I will put it to insert 30 M (millions) registers by month (or 1 Million by day) in a year is about 400 Millions
registers.
>     Can pgsql support this? In What Machine?
I don't know why not.
Ofcoarse you have to build your indices and as long as you don't do
weird stuff on your DB (don't try things like "textfield LIKE
'%blabla%'") it should work fine.

The kind of machine you need depends heavily on the type of data and
applications.
The basic rule for DB-machines are always the same though 'have enough
fast storage', 'have enough RAM', 'have enough CPU' (in that order).
A dual P4 Xeon/P3 with 4GB or more memory equiped with a pretty
raidcontroller having a lot of 10k rpm/15k rpm disks attached will do
fine for a lot of applications.

So if you want more specific answers, you'll have to be a bit more
specific to, otherwise noone can advise you more than just the basic
rules :)