Обсуждение: hexadecimal values

hexadecimal values

От
Thierry Besancon
Дата:
        Hello

Is there a means to enter directly hexadecimal number in an integer
field in a table ? (I don't known by advance if the number is hexa
ou decimal so I can't use a special function)

Best regards.

        Thierry

Re: hexadecimal values

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
What do you mean you won't know in advance? If not, how do you tell the
difference between 10 hexadecimal (which is 16) and 10 decimal (which is 10)?

Have you considered just having your application convert it first? There may
be a postgresql function to convert it as well, however I couldn't find it
offhand. You could also create your own stored procedure.

Regards,
    Jeff

On Thursday 02 May 2002 04:28 am, Thierry Besancon wrote:
>         Hello
>
> Is there a means to enter directly hexadecimal number in an integer
> field in a table ? (I don't known by advance if the number is hexa
> ou decimal so I can't use a special function)
>
> Best regards.
>
>         Thierry

Re: hexadecimal values

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
Oh, that makes more sense. I don't think that there is an internal postgres
stored procedure for doing that, but I can't imagine it would be that hard to
write one.

I suppose that someone could add the ability to parse hex values in the text
to int converter. Is that what you'd like to see? that way you could do:

select '0x10'::int;
or:
select '10'::int;

and they would return 16 and 10 respectively.

It also should be quite easy to do the conversion in your application before
sending it to the database. Look at the C function strtol().

Regards,
    Jeff