Обсуждение: psql and passwords

psql and passwords

От
Michael Devogelaere
Дата:
Hi,

I've recently installed a beta-release of RedHat which ships PostgreSQL
7.2.1 and have troubles with using psql in non-interactive scripts.

With the previous version, i passed the password with
 'echo pass | psql -d db -U user -h server -c "..."'
but that doesn't seem to work anymore (because it reads the password now
from /dev/tty instead of stdin i guess).

Is this a RedHat-specific issue or is it more general ? And of course:
what's the solution ? ;)

Kind regards,
Michael Devogelaere.

Re: psql and passwords

Дата:
Michael Devogelaere <michael@mind.be> writes:
> With the previous version, i passed the password with
>  'echo pass | psql -d db -U user -h server -c "..."'
> but that doesn't seem to work anymore (because it reads the password now
> from /dev/tty instead of stdin i guess).

This was a deliberate change (some of us had misgivings about it but
were voted down).

I'd suggest seeing if you can't avoid needing passwords anymore,
instead.  "ident" auth works over local connections now (at least
on some platforms, including recent Linuxen).

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql and passwords

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Michael Devogelaere <michael@mind.be> writes:
> > With the previous version, i passed the password with
> >  'echo pass | psql -d db -U user -h server -c "..."'
> > but that doesn't seem to work anymore (because it reads the password now
> > from /dev/tty instead of stdin i guess).
>
> This was a deliberate change (some of us had misgivings about it but
> were voted down).
>
> I'd suggest seeing if you can't avoid needing passwords anymore,
> instead.  "ident" auth works over local connections now (at least
> on some platforms, including recent Linuxen).

I don't know when the change was made but it never worked for me, and I'm sure
that included 7.0.2 if not 6.5.1

Anyway, the solution is to set PGPASSWORD in the evironment. Once I remembered
about that it all became so much easier.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: psql and passwords

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk> writes:

> I don't know when the change was made but it never worked for me,
> and I'm sure that included 7.0.2 if not 6.5.1
>
> Anyway, the solution is to set PGPASSWORD in the evironment. Once I
> remembered about that it all became so much easier.

Note that this is potentially insecure as some systems expose your
environment to other users.

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught       Wireboard Industries      http://www.wireboard.com/

      Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
      Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...

Re: psql and passwords

От
Curt Sampson
Дата:
On 15 Apr 2002, Doug McNaught wrote:

> "Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Anyway, the solution is to set PGPASSWORD in the evironment. Once I
> > remembered about that it all became so much easier.
>
> Note that this is potentially insecure as some systems expose your
> environment to other users.

Indeed. What about adding an option whose argument is the name of
a file containing the password?

cjs

Re: psql and passwords

Дата:
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2002, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
> > "Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > Anyway, the solution is to set PGPASSWORD in the evironment. Once I
> > > remembered about that it all became so much easier.
> >
> > Note that this is potentially insecure as some systems expose your
> > environment to other users.
>
> Indeed. What about adding an option whose argument is the name of
> a file containing the password?

Already on TODO and I hope it is done for 7.3:

* Add PGPASSWORDFILE environment variable or ~/.pgpass to store
  user/host/password combinations

We even have:

* Remove PGPASSWORD because it is insecure on some OS's