Обсуждение: table design strategy

table design strategy

От
"Johnson, Shaunn"
Howdy:

Running Postgres 7.1.3 on RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.7  rel. 10.

My question is about table design strategies ...

I have a imported a table, broken up in such a fashion that
there are now 8 tables on Postgres.  For example: table_north,
table_south, table_east and table_west originally comes from
another source on another database called 'table_direction'.
From that, the tables span years, so, I have tables called
'table_north_2000' and 'table_north_2001', 'table_south_2000'
and table_south_2001' and so on ...

Now ... I was thinking that now that I have all 8 parts, I'd like
to:

* create indices on the similar names in each table
* create a view that joins all 8 tables into ONE table again

I don't want to join all of the tables back into ONE table
because every month or so, I'll have to update  and import
a fresh copy of the 2001 year tables ... and because they are
pretty big, pulling it all at once is totally not an option. Of course,
I'll have to start pulling 2002 data soon ...

I'm looking for creative suggestions.  Otherwise, I think I'll have to
go the route I stated above ... it just seems like it's going to be
painful ...

Thanks!

PS: Has anyone had a chance to test a Data Model / database
structure modeling tool (for creating pretty pictures and relational
info / documentation)?

-X