Обсуждение: Maximum size of identifiers names ?

Maximum size of identifiers names ?

От
"fhallais"
Дата:
Hi  guys,

I am porting an application (NOLA) originally developed in MySQL
to PostgreSQL.

Some very long identifiers names are being truncated.

Would somebody tell me what is the default maximum size for an
identifier name in PostgreSQL 7.2 ?

Is there a way to increase the default size ?

Thanks,

Flavio Hallais

Re: Maximum size of identifiers names ?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 02:18:18AM -0500, fhallais wrote:
> Hi  guys,
>
> I am porting an application (NOLA) originally developed in MySQL
> to PostgreSQL.
>
> Some very long identifiers names are being truncated.
>
> Would somebody tell me what is the default maximum size for an
> identifier name in PostgreSQL 7.2 ?
>
> Is there a way to increase the default size ?

The default is 32 characters. Yes it is possible to increase them though it
requires a recompile of both client and server setups IIRC. (Though client
maybe only if you use NOTIFY). Please look through the mailing list archives
for more details.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/