Обсуждение: Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

От
"Samuel J. Sutjiono"
Дата:
This expression matches the word socks or shoes or nike in product category
where productdescr ~* '(socks|shoes|nike)'

Does anybody know what the expression should be  if I want to do 'and' of those key words instead of 'or' ?

Thanks,
Sam

Re: Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

От
Fernando Schapachnik
Дата:
En un mensaje anterior, Samuel J. Sutjiono escribió:
> This expression matches the word socks or shoes or nike in product category
> where productdescr ~* '(socks|shoes|nike)'
>
> Does anybody know what the expression should be  if I want to do 'and' of those key words instead of 'or' ?

You have to use something like:

'(socks.*shoes.*nike)|(socks.*nike.*shoes)|...'

where ... is every other possible combination. Not pretty, but that's
a limitation of finite automata (or regular expressions, which are
the same).

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Gerente de tecnología de red
y sistemas de información
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

Re: [SQL] Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

От
Fernando Schapachnik
Дата:
En un mensaje anterior, Samuel J. Sutjiono escribió:
> Thank you very much Fernando.  Do you know whether this expression (regex)
> use index scan ?

Not sure, but probably an EXPLAIN will tell.

Good luck.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Gerente de tecnología de red
y sistemas de información
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

Re: [SQL] Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

От
"Samuel J. Sutjiono"
Дата:
Thank you very much Fernando.  Do you know whether this expression (regex)
use index scan ?

Regards,
Sam
> En un mensaje anterior, Samuel J. Sutjiono escribió:
> > This expression matches the word socks or shoes or nike in product
category
> > where productdescr ~* '(socks|shoes|nike)'
> >
> > Does anybody know what the expression should be  if I want to do 'and'
of those key words instead of 'or' ?

> You have to use something like:
>
> '(socks.*shoes.*nike)|(socks.*nike.*shoes)|...'
>
> where ... is every other possible combination. Not pretty, but that's
> a limitation of finite automata (or regular expressions, which are
> the same).
>
> Regards.
>

> Fernando P. Schapachnik
> Gerente de tecnología de red
> y sistemas de información
> VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
> fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
> Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

Re: Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

Дата:
Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar> writes:
> You have to use something like:

> '(socks.*shoes.*nike)|(socks.*nike.*shoes)|...'

> where ... is every other possible combination. Not pretty, but that's
> a limitation of finite automata (or regular expressions, which are
> the same).

Seems a lot easier to do

    WHERE field ~* 'socks' AND field ~* 'shoes' AND field ~* 'nike'

            regards, tom lane

Re: Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

От
Medi Montaseri
Дата:
Based on generic rules of Regular Expression, the default is a AND.
For example

RE-1RE-2RE-3 is really (RE-1) and (RE-2) and (RE-3). However Regular
Expression
also provides the "Alternation Metachar" to change it from a default AND
to a OR.

The problem however is if you have target-1 junk target-2 junk junk
target-3
Then the simple (target-1target-2target-3) would not work, as you are
implying
they are following each other. So the fix could be

productdescr ~* '(socks)' AND productdescr ~* '(shoes)' AND productdescr
~*(nike)'

Effectively you are creating a composite expression consisting of three
sub-expression.

"Samuel J. Sutjiono" wrote:

> This expression matches the word socks or shoes or nike in product
> categorywhere productdescr ~* '(socks|shoes|nike)' Does anybody know
> what the expression should be  if I want to do 'and' of those key
> words instead of 'or' ? Thanks,Sam

Medi Montaseri                               medi@CyberShell.com
Unix Distributed Systems Engineer            HTTP://www.CyberShell.com
CyberShell Engineering

Re: [SQL] Regular Expression for 'and' instead of 'or'

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Samuel J. Sutjiono writes:

> This expression matches the word socks or shoes or nike in product category
> where productdescr ~* '(socks|shoes|nike)'
>
> Does anybody know what the expression should be if I want to do 'and'
> of those key words instead of 'or' ?

You probably want something like

productdescr ~* 'socks' AND productdescr ~* 'shoes' AND productdescr ~* 'nike'

I don't think it's possible to do this for the general case with just a
regular expression.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Strange Postgresql Indexing Behavior

От
Brian Knox
Дата:
I'm having an interesting time trying to figure out some behavior with
postgresql indexes that I am trying to understand.

I have a table, historyticket. In that table, I have a column,
fk_opener_id, which is an integer column. I have an index (default btree
index) on the fk_opener_id column in that table.

When I select from this table with the following query:

select * from historyticket where fk_opener_id = ?

The query sometimes uses the index, and sometimes does a sequential scan.
I experimented for a little bit and found out that if the number of rows
that match the query is greater than a certain number (somewhere around
1000 rows from what I can tell) then the index is not used.

For example:

=============
testing=# explain select * from historyticket where fk_opener_id = 67;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on historyticket  (cost=0.00..768.62 rows=1246 width=419)

testing=# select count(*) from historyticket where fk_opener_id = 67;
 count
-------
  1158
(1 row)
---------
testing=# explain select * from historyticket where fk_opener_id = 4;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan using fk_opener_id on historyticket  (cost=0.00..179.47 rows=47
width=419)

testing=# select count(*) from historyticket where fk_opener_id = 4;
 count
-------
    79
(1 row)
===============

I did more queries and confirmed that when the number of rows returned is
below a certain number (I don't have enough data to determine the exact
number) the index is used, and when it is above a certain number, it is
not used.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening / why it is happening / how to
make the indexes work correctly?

Thanks.

Brian

Re: Strange Postgresql Indexing Behavior

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:28:00PM -0500, Brian Knox wrote:

> I'm having an interesting time trying to figure out some behavior with
> postgresql indexes that I am trying to understand.

[snip]

> I did more queries and confirmed that when the number of rows returned is
> below a certain number (I don't have enough data to determine the exact
> number) the index is used, and when it is above a certain number, it is
> not used.
>
> Can anyone explain to me what is happening / why it is happening / how to
> make the indexes work correctly?

Well, checking a tuple from an index is more expensive than checking a tuple
from a sequential scan. So, if you want to select 50% of the table, it's
faster to read the whole table than it is to use the index.

The planner tries to guess where the break-even point is. Above, seq scan,
below index scan.

This is a FAQ, IIRC.

HTH,
--