Обсуждение: Createdb problems

Createdb problems

От
Kenneth McDowell
Дата:
I am trying to create a database on a mounted volume.
I have used initdb and created the cluster fine.
I have set an environment variable for the PATH, and restarted postgres but
when I go to use the createdb --location=PATH dbname
I get the following error

cp: /volumes/hood/postgres/base/26916: Too many levels of symbolic links
ERROR:  CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory
ERROR:  CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory
        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Server process (pid
652) exited with status 11 at Wed Feb 20 23:51:30 2002
Terminating any active server processes...
Server processes were terminated at Wed Feb 20 23:51:30 2002
Reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
The Data Base System is starting up
Failed.
!# DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2002-02-20 23:48:29 CST
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1522940)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1522940); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 636; NextOid: 26916
DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress...
DEBUG:  ReadRecord: record with zero len at (0, 1523004)
DEBUG:  redo is not required
DEBUG:  database system is in production state

Any insight here?

Re: Createdb problems

От
missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
> cp: /volumes/hood/postgres/base/26916: Too many levels of symbolic links
> ERROR:  CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory

I am guessing some kind of recursive definition of directories
ie. ../pgsql -> ../local/pgsql -> ../pgsql -> ...

Re: Createdb problems

Дата:
Kenneth McDowell <kmcdowel@netwiz.net> writes:
> I am trying to create a database on a mounted volume.
> I have used initdb and created the cluster fine.
> I have set an environment variable for the PATH, and restarted postgres but
> when I go to use the createdb --location=PATH dbname
> I get the following error

> cp: /volumes/hood/postgres/base/26916: Too many levels of symbolic links
> ERROR:  CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory

Hm.  What exactly is that PATH value, and where is your regular database
area (PGDATA)?  I am suspicious of a circular-symlink kind of problem,
but there's not enough info here to understand what's wrong.

Also, which PG version are you using?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Createdb problems

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:26:06AM -0600, Kenneth McDowell wrote:
> cp: /volumes/hood/postgres/base/26916: Too many levels of symbolic links

namei is a wonderful program for resolving this kind of problem. What does:

namei  /volumes/hood/postgres/base/26916

display?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/