Обсуждение: Permissions on non-owned database

Permissions on non-owned database

От
Dmitry Alyabyev
Дата:
Hello

I have a strange problem and cannot realize is it really true.
There are 2 problems -  first one is that any user can create table
(or probably any other object) in non-owned database.
The second is that any postgres user can create object in template1
database. I've used 7.0.2 and never seen such problems.
The postgres 7.1.3 was installed from scratch and nothing was changed
from default configuration - I've only created 2 users + one db and
check the situation.

Can somebody tell me what may be a problem here ?

thanks,
--
Dimitry

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Dmitry Alyabyev
Дата:
Sorry, guys - is also happens under 7.0.2
So I still have only one question - HOW CAN I GET OVER THAT ?

--
Dimitry

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Dmitry Alyabyev wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a strange problem and cannot realize is it really true.
> There are 2 problems -  first one is that any user can create table
> (or probably any other object) in non-owned database.
> The second is that any postgres user can create object in template1
> database. I've used 7.0.2 and never seen such problems.
> The postgres 7.1.3 was installed from scratch and nothing was changed
> from default configuration - I've only created 2 users + one db and
> check the situation.
>
> Can somebody tell me what may be a problem here ?

Right now there's no permissions for preventing creation in a database you
can connect to.  If the user doesn't need to be able to connect to the
database in question, you can remove their access to it via your
pg_hba.conf file.

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Dmitry Alyabyev
Дата:
Wednesday, January 23, 2002, 6:18:34 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> Right now there's no permissions for preventing creation in a database you
> can connect to.  If the user doesn't need to be able to connect to the
> database in question, you can remove their access to it via your
> pg_hba.conf file.

How can I separate these users if they are connecting from one IP ?
Using ident auth isn't secure enough, imho

--
Dimitry

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Dmitry Alyabyev <dimitry@al.org.ua> writes:

> Wednesday, January 23, 2002, 6:18:34 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> > Right now there's no permissions for preventing creation in a database you
> > can connect to.  If the user doesn't need to be able to connect to the
> > database in question, you can remove their access to it via your
> > pg_hba.conf file.
>
> How can I separate these users if they are connecting from one IP ?
> Using ident auth isn't secure enough, imho

If they're on a different host, and you're not willing to trust
ident, I think some kind of password auth is the only way to go.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Dmitry Alyabyev wrote:

> Wednesday, January 23, 2002, 6:18:34 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> > Right now there's no permissions for preventing creation in a database you
> > can connect to.  If the user doesn't need to be able to connect to the
> > database in question, you can remove their access to it via your
> > pg_hba.conf file.
>
> How can I separate these users if they are connecting from one IP ?
> Using ident auth isn't secure enough, imho

Probably password or crypt with per database password files.

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Dmitry Alyabyev
Дата:
Wednesday, January 23, 2002, 7:13:06 PM, Doug McNaught wrote:

> Dmitry Alyabyev <dimitry@al.org.ua> writes:

>> Wednesday, January 23, 2002, 6:18:34 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:
>>
>> > Right now there's no permissions for preventing creation in a database you
>> > can connect to.  If the user doesn't need to be able to connect to the
>> > database in question, you can remove their access to it via your
>> > pg_hba.conf file.
>>
>> How can I separate these users if they are connecting from one IP ?
>> Using ident auth isn't secure enough, imho

> If they're on a different host, and you're not willing to trust
> ident, I think some kind of password auth is the only way to go.

No, I'm talking about remove their access to some db's via pg_hba.conf

--
Dimitry

Re: Permissions on non-owned database

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Dmitry Alyabyev <dimitry@al.org.ua> writes:

> > If they're on a different host, and you're not willing to trust
> > ident, I think some kind of password auth is the only way to go.
>
> No, I'm talking about remove their access to some db's via pg_hba.conf

Well, in order to do that securely, you have to know who they are; this
requires identd, peer or password authentication.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863