Обсуждение: MS Client ODBC question

MS Client ODBC question

От
"PIPER,JIM (A-SantaClara,ex1)"
Дата:
I have pgsql 6.5 installed on HPUX with an entry in the pg_hba.conf file
that says:

host        all          0.0.0.0        0.0.0.0          crypt

I am trying to connect to it from a Win 98 box that I have installed the
psqlodbc_07_01_0008 ODBC driver on.

I can't get it to connect.  I get back errors from my client app that says
something like:

"Password crypt authentication not supported"

Why is this?  Is it because the psqlodbc driver does not know how to send
crypted passwords to the pgsql server?  Is there some other ODBC driver for
Win 98 that does support crypt?  Will things work if I change my pg_hba.conf
file authentication field to be 'passwd'? or 'trusted'?

Thanks your help is appreciated,

- Jim Piper

Re: MS Client ODBC question

От
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Дата:
--- "PIPER,JIM (A-SantaClara,ex1)" <jim_piper@agilent.com>
wrote:

> I have pgsql 6.5 installed on HPUX with an entry in the
> pg_hba.conf file
> that says:
>
> host        all          0.0.0.0        0.0.0.0          crypt
>
> I am trying to connect to it from a Win 98 box that I have
> installed the
> psqlodbc_07_01_0008 ODBC driver on.
>
> I can't get it to connect.  I get back errors from my client
> app that says
> something like:
>
> "Password crypt authentication not supported"
>
> Why is this?  Is it because the psqlodbc driver does not know
> how to send
> crypted passwords to the pgsql server?

That is correct.

> Is there some other
> ODBC driver for
> Win 98 that does support crypt?

I doubt it.

> Will things work if I change
> my pg_hba.conf
> file authentication field to be 'passwd'? or 'trusted'?

trusted would allow you access.

Brent

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

Re: MS Client ODBC question

От
"PIPER,JIM (A-SantaClara,ex1)"
Дата:
Ok thanks, when I changed the pg_hba.conf authentication field from 'crypt'
to 'password' I was able to connect from my Win 98 box using ODBC (tables
look good from Excel->data->import->query).

Are there any plans to to make the Postgres Win ODBC driver support
connections using authentication by crypt or Kerberos?

Regards,
Jim Piper

> I have pgsql 6.5 installed on HPUX with an entry in the
> pg_hba.conf file
> that says:
>
> host        all          0.0.0.0        0.0.0.0          crypt
>
> I am trying to connect to it from a Win 98 box that I have
> installed the
> psqlodbc_07_01_0008 ODBC driver on.
>
> I can't get it to connect.  I get back errors from my client
> app that says
> something like:
>
> "Password crypt authentication not supported"
>
> Why is this?  Is it because the psqlodbc driver does not know
> how to send
> crypted passwords to the pgsql server?

That is correct.

> Is there some other
> ODBC driver for
> Win 98 that does support crypt?

I doubt it.

> Will things work if I change
> my pg_hba.conf
> file authentication field to be 'passwd'? or 'trusted'?

trusted would allow you access.

Brent

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: MS Client ODBC question

> Ok thanks, when I changed the pg_hba.conf authentication field from 'crypt'
> to 'password' I was able to connect from my Win 98 box using ODBC (tables
> look good from Excel->data->import->query).
>
> Are there any plans to to make the Postgres Win ODBC driver support
> connections using authentication by crypt or Kerberos?

Good question.  ODBC has never supported crypt.  7.2b2 supports MD5
encryption, which will be the prefered password encryption method for
future PostgreSQL versions.

FYI, crypt was never supported because we have been using the native
operating system's crypt() and Win* doesn't have that function.
However, MD5 is better than crypt in several ways so we are standarizing
on that now.