Обсуждение: Referring a table in another database

Referring a table in another database

От
Jo
Дата:
Hi,

Is it possible to make a reference to a table in another database in
PostgreSQL? I know I can do that in Access. If it's not possible I have to
make all of my tables in 1 database.

Thank you very much in advance if you can give me some pointers.

Jo

Re: Referring a table in another database

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Jo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to make a reference to a table in another database in
> PostgreSQL? I know I can do that in Access. If it's not possible I have to
> make all of my tables in 1 database.

Not currently.

Re: Referring a table in another database

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Jo <rainbow@linuxfocus.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to make a reference to a table in another database in
> PostgreSQL? I know I can do that in Access. If it's not possible I have to
> make all of my tables in 1 database.

No, you currently can't do this.  It's being discussed as a feature
(SQL-standard schemas) in the next version (after 7.2 which is
currently in beta).

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Referring a table in another database

От
"Command Prompt, Inc."
Дата:
Hello,

That is correct. Currently within PostgreSQL tables are specific to
their database and can not cross-query. You will have to create all tables
within the database.

by way of pgsql-general@commandprompt.com
http://www.postgresql.info/
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Referring a table in another database

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
At 21:42 02/11/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Is it possible to make a reference to a table in another database in
>PostgreSQL? I know I can do that in Access. If it's not possible I have to
>make all of my tables in 1 database.

It is not possible before schema features are implemented (PostgreSQL 7.3?).
Maybe it is possible to run queries remotely using plperl, but I am not sure.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE