Обсуждение: Libpq coding assistance

Libpq coding assistance

От
Scott Holmes
Дата:
I am in need of some assistance in coding a c module using libpq on a
windows platform.  Specifically, I need some help with providing the
input buffer for lo_write.  The code sample provided in the
documentation contains this snippet:
------------

  lobj_fd = lo_open(conn, lobjId, INV_WRITE);

  while ((nbytes = read(fd, buffer,BUFSIZE)) > 0)
    {
      tmp = lo_write(conn, lobj_fd, buffer, nbytes);
      if (tmp < nbytes)
        fprintf(stderr, "error while reading large object\n");
    }

  (void) CloseHandle(fd);
  (void) lo_close(conn, lobj_fd);
------------

I need to change the read() statement to use ReadFile, thus:

------------
  lobj_fd = lo_open(conn, lobjId, INV_WRITE);

  while (ReadFile(fd, buffer, BUFSIZE, &nbytes, NULL)!=EOF )
    {
      tmp = lo_write(conn, lobj_fd, buffer, nbytes);
      if (tmp < nbytes)
        fprintf(stderr, "error while reading large object\n");
    }

  (void) lo_close(conn, lobj_fd);
  (void) CloseHandle(fd);
--------------

This, of course, doesn't work.  The program is reported as no longer responding.
An infinite loop I suspect. If anyone is doing this or knows how to code it,
I would be grateful.

Scott Holmes                   http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottholmes
                               scottholmes@sbcglobal.net

  Independent Programmer/Analyst                  Passport 4GL
  PHP HTML Composer                PostgreSQL     Informix 4GL, SQL
      There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
             than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Is there an internal timestamp on a table when it was created?

От
"Jeff Lu"
Дата:
Hi,

Is there an internal timestamp on a table when it was created?

I want to the program to perform an auto daily backup on certain tables.  If
I can check time stamp on the table as when it was created, so I can set the
program to do just one backup a day.

Thanks
-Jeff

Re: Libpq coding assistance

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Scott Holmes <scottholmes@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> ------------
>
>   lobj_fd = lo_open(conn, lobjId, INV_WRITE);
>
>   while ((nbytes = read(fd, buffer,BUFSIZE)) > 0)
>     {

>     }
>
> ------------
>
> I need to change the read() statement to use ReadFile, thus:
>
> ------------
>   lobj_fd = lo_open(conn, lobjId, INV_WRITE);
>
>   while (ReadFile(fd, buffer, BUFSIZE, &nbytes, NULL)!=EOF )
>     {

>     }
> --------------
>
> This, of course, doesn't work.  The program is reported as no longer
> responding.  An infinite loop I suspect. If anyone is doing this or
> knows how to code it, I would be grateful.

Sounds like ReadFile (a Windows call?) isn't behaving the way you
think it does.  Write some test code and play around with it until you
understand how it works.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Got error on CREATE TABLE AS

От
"Jeff Lu"
Дата:
Hi,

I'm getting parser error at or near AS

when try to copy a table using CREATE TABLE AS

Here what I have in the sql statement

CREATE TABLE employee_backup (id text UNIQUE, lastname text, firstname text,
phone text) AS SELECT * FROM employee

Can some body tell me what is wrong with the sql statement?

Thank you

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

От
"Command Prompt, Inc."
Дата:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Jeff Lu wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm getting parser error at or near AS
>when try to copy a table using CREATE TABLE AS
>Here what I have in the sql statement
>CREATE TABLE employee_backup (id text UNIQUE, lastname text, firstname text,
>phone text) AS SELECT * FROM employee
>Can some body tell me what is wrong with the sql statement?

I don't believe you can specify types or constraints. Also, if you specify
the name of each column in parens, PostgreSQL seems to get confused if you
do a SELECT * following AS, rather than specify each table name as well
(as of 7.1.x, I get ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column
count - is this a known bug?)

I believe this should work, though you lose the UNIQUE constraint:

CREATE TABLE employee_backup AS SELECT * FROM employee;

Regards,
Jw.
--
jlx@commandprompt.com
by way of pgsql-general@commandprompt.com

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

От
"Command Prompt, Inc."
Дата:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Command Prompt, Inc. wrote:
>I don't believe you can specify types or constraints. Also, if you specify
>the name of each column in parens, PostgreSQL seems to get confused if you
>do a SELECT * following AS, rather than specify each table name as well
>(as of 7.1.x, I get ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column
>count - is this a known bug?)

Er, make that "column name" above, not "table name". Here's an example of
what I was trying to describe:

lx=# CREATE TABLE abc (a char, b char, c char);
CREATE
lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT * FROM abc;
ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column count
lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT a, b, c FROM abc;
SELECT

You can explicitly provide each column name in the AS SELECT clause, and
that appears to work properly, but supplying a "*" confuses the backend.

Is this as it should be, or is it a known issue?

Regards,
Jw.
--
jlx@commandprompt.com
by way of pgsql-general@commandprompt.com

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

Дата:
"Command Prompt, Inc." <pgsql-general@commandprompt.com> writes:
> lx=# CREATE TABLE abc (a char, b char, c char);
> CREATE
> lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT * FROM abc;
> ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column count
> lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT a, b, c FROM abc;
> SELECT

Looks like a bug to me too.  Will look into it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> "Command Prompt, Inc." <pgsql-general@commandprompt.com> writes:
>> lx=# CREATE TABLE abc (a char, b char, c char);
>> CREATE
>> lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT * FROM abc;
>> ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column count
>> lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT a, b, c FROM abc;
>> SELECT

> Looks like a bug to me too.  Will look into it.

Fix committed for 7.2.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

От
"Jeff Lu"
Дата:
Thanks,
will this be fixed on the next release?

>> lx=# CREATE TABLE abc (a char, b char, c char);
>> CREATE
>> lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT * FROM abc;
>> ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column count
>> lx=# CREATE TABLE xyz (x, y, z) AS SELECT a, b, c FROM abc;
>> SELECT

> Looks like a bug to me too.  Will look into it.

Fix committed for 7.2.

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

От
"Jeff Lu"
Дата:
Yes, I've tried the following and it worked but the unique key contraint is
losed.

CREATE TABLE employee_backup AS SELECT * FROM employee;

>when try to copy a table using CREATE TABLE AS
>Here what I have in the sql statement
>CREATE TABLE employee_backup (id text UNIQUE, lastname text, firstname
text,
>phone text) AS SELECT * FROM employee
>Can some body tell me what is wrong with the sql statement?

I don't believe you can specify types or constraints. Also, if you specify
the name of each column in parens, PostgreSQL seems to get confused if you
do a SELECT * following AS, rather than specify each table name as well
(as of 7.1.x, I get ERROR:  CREATE TABLE/AS SELECT has mismatched column
count - is this a known bug?)

I believe this should work, though you lose the UNIQUE constraint:

CREATE TABLE employee_backup AS SELECT * FROM employee;

Regards,
Jw.
--
jlx@commandprompt.com
by way of pgsql-general@commandprompt.com

Re: Got error on CREATE TABLE AS (+Bug?)

Дата:
Yes, it will be fixed in 7.2, which is the next release.