Обсуждение: createdb buggy?

createdb buggy?

От
"zammon@libero.it"
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm using postgresql 6.5.3 and I think I found a bug in createdb tool.

take a look...
verde:/home/coblib/beta$ createdb THISDB
verde:/home/coblib/beta$ psql THISDB
Connection to database 'thisdb' failed.
FATAL 1:  Database thisdb does not exist in pg_database

verde:/home/coblib/beta$ psql -l
datname   |datdba|encoding|datpath
----------+------+--------+----------
template1 |    31|       5|template1
THISDB  |    31|       5|THISDB

Is this a known bug?

Jose

Re: createdb buggy?

От
wsheldah@lexmark.com

Try typing
psql "THISDB"

so that it won't convert your database name to lower case before it tries to
look it up in the system catalog.  You also might want to upgrade to 7.1.3 or so
if possible; a lot has changed since 6.5.3.

"zammon@libero.it" <zammon%libero.it on 09/06/2001 09:59:50 AM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] createdb buggy?

Hi all,

I'm using postgresql 6.5.3 and I think I found a bug in createdb tool.

take a look...
verde:/home/coblib/beta$ createdb THISDB
verde:/home/coblib/beta$ psql THISDB
Connection to database 'thisdb' failed.
FATAL 1:  Database thisdb does not exist in pg_database

verde:/home/coblib/beta$ psql -l
datname   |datdba|encoding|datpath
----------+------+--------+----------
template1 |    31|       5|template1
THISDB  |    31|       5|THISDB

Is this a known bug?

Jose

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: createdb buggy?

От
"zammon@libero.it"
Дата:
wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

>Try typing
>psql "THISDB"

$ psql "THISDB"
Connection to database 'thisdb' failed.
FATAL 1:  Database thisdb does not exist in pg_database

Sorry, it doesn't work to

Jose

>so that it won't convert your database name to lower case before it tries to
>look it up in the system catalog.  You also might want to upgrade to 7.1.3 or so
>if possible; a lot has changed since 6.5.3.
>

>"zammon@libero.it" <zammon%libero.it on 09/06/2001 09:59:50 AM
>
>To:   pgsql-general%postgresql.org@interlock.lexmark.com
>cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
>Subject:  [GENERAL] createdb buggy?
>

>Hi all,
>
>I'm using postgresql 6.5.3 and I think I found a bug in createdb tool.
>
>take a look...
>verde:/home/coblib/beta$ createdb THISDB
>verde:/home/coblib/beta$ psql THISDB
>Connection to database 'thisdb' failed.
>FATAL 1:  Database thisdb does not exist in pg_database
>
>verde:/home/coblib/beta$ psql -l
>datname   |datdba|encoding|datpath
>----------+------+--------+----------
>template1 |    31|       5|template1
>THISDB  |    31|       5|THISDB
>
>Is this a known bug?
>
>Jose

>http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: createdb buggy?

От
Steve Wampler
Дата:
wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

> Try typing
> psql "THISDB"

Shouldn't this be

psql \"THISDB\"

so the shell doesn't strip the " off?

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu

Re: createdb buggy?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
zammon@libero.it writes:

> I'm using postgresql 6.5.3 and I think I found a bug in createdb tool.

Please upgrade to the latest stable release (7.1.3).  I'm pretty sure the
behaviour you describe is fixed there.

Re: createdb buggy?

Дата:
wsheldah@lexmark.com writes:
> You also might want to upgrade to 7.1.3 or so
> if possible; a lot has changed since 6.5.3.

Indeed.  I get

$ psql THISDB
psql: FATAL 1:  Database "THISDB" does not exist in the system catalog.

so recent versions of psql don't do the bogus case adjustment.

I believe we agreed awhile back that names typed on the Unix command
line should always be taken literally, not case-folded as they would
normally be within SQL commands.  I'm not sure that we have fixed every
single script and program to adhere to that convention, but that's the
current plan.

            regards, tom lane