Обсуждение: psql on red hat 7.1

psql on red hat 7.1

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
After upgrading to red hat 7.1
I can no longer use arrow keys to browse
the psql history

The file  .psql_history  is my home
directory.

Can someone help me?

I am using 7.1.2

Thanks

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

От
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Дата:
newsreader@mediaone.net writes:

> After upgrading to red hat 7.1
> I can no longer use arrow keys to browse
> the psql history
>
> The file  .psql_history  is my home
> directory.
>
> Can someone help me?
>
> I am using 7.1.2

RHL 7.1 shipped with postgresql 7.0 - is this one of the official
rpms, or did you compile it yourself?

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi,

I'm guessing that you've compiled your own version of PostgreSQL 7.1.2.

The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
"configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
didn't find it for some reason.

You should probably compile PostgreSQL again, making sure that it can
find the readline library(ies).  This will give you a psql command line
history, etc.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> After upgrading to red hat 7.1
> I can no longer use arrow keys to browse
> the psql history
>
> The file  .psql_history  is my home
> directory.
>
> Can someone help me?
>
> I am using 7.1.2
>
> Thanks

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:23:51AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm guessing that you've compiled your own version of PostgreSQL 7.1.2.
>
> The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
> without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
> "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
> that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> didn't find it for some reason.

I compiled 7.1.2 myself

I now see that configure does not
find readline even though it is
installed

How should I tell configure
where to find it?

Thanks

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

Дата:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
> without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
> "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
> that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> didn't find it for some reason.

Note that you need to have both the library itself and its header files.
If you installed 'em from RPMs that means you need both readline and
readline-devel RPMs.  Otherwise configure will decide you haven't got
readline installed...

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:47:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> > didn't find it for some reason.
>
> Note that you need to have both the library itself and its header files.
> If you installed 'em from RPMs that means you need both readline and
> readline-devel RPMs.  Otherwise configure will decide you haven't got
> readline installed...

Here is what I have

$ rpm -qa|grep readl
readline-devel-4.1-9
readline-4.1-9
readline2.2.1-2.2.1-2

Anyway I don't install rpm.  configure
says I cannot find readline.

I have also reinstalled readline again

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi again,

You're probably best to look through the mailing list archives for the
best ways people have found for doing this.  There have been a few
people with similar problems over time.  :-)

If you don't find anything there, feel free to ask again.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:23:51AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm guessing that you've compiled your own version of PostgreSQL 7.1.2.
> >
> > The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
> > without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
> > "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
> > that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
> > didn't find it for some reason.
>
> I compiled 7.1.2 myself
>
> I now see that configure does not
> find readline even though it is
> installed
>
> How should I tell configure
> where to find it?
>
> Thanks

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: psql on red hat 7.1

От
"Scott W. Hill"
Дата:
I have the same problem on Mac OS X. Has anyone gotten readline support
to work with OS X?

--Scott

On Sunday, July 22, 2001, at 07:47  PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>> The symptoms you mention are what happens when PostgreSQL is compiled
>> without the "readline" library(ies).  Normally the PostgreSQL
>> "configure" program finds this if it's on your system, but I'm thinking
>> that perhaps you don't have it installed or the "configure" program
>> didn't find it for some reason.
>
> Note that you need to have both the library itself and its header files.
> If you installed 'em from RPMs that means you need both readline and
> readline-devel RPMs.  Otherwise configure will decide you haven't got
> readline installed...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Scott W. Hill
VeriSign Payment Services