Обсуждение: locale per db / table / column

locale per db / table / column

От
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Дата:
Hi All

I'm a new Postgres User and because I'm from Israel I use the Hebrew set in
locale.

from reading the documents I realized that all the databases created under
directory that was created with initdb while locale was set to something
will be sorted by this locale with no way to set it to other locale in the
future.

I hope I'm wrong as some of my db need to be only English and some Hebrew.

If I'm wrong please explain, if not, is there a way to go around this
problem ? maybe by making more then one data directory ?

can one postmaster run on more then one data dir ?

--------------------------
Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers
Ben-Nes Michael - Manager
Tel: 972-4-6991122
http://sites.canaan.co.il
--------------------------

Re: locale per db / table / column

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Ben-Nes Michael writes:

> >from reading the documents I realized that all the databases created under
> directory that was created with initdb while locale was set to something
> will be sorted by this locale with no way to set it to other locale in the
> future.

Correct.

> If I'm wrong please explain, if not, is there a way to go around this
> problem ? maybe by making more then one data directory ?

Yes.

> can one postmaster run on more then one data dir ?

No, but you can start more than one postmaster, each on different data
directories.

Re: locale per db / table / column

От
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Дата:
What is the down side of using more then one postmaster process ?

If I activate more then one postmaster does that mean that each postmaster
will listen to a unique port ? or is it like apache that you can run few
httpd process that's listen to the same port (80 most of the time) ?

--------------------------
Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers
Ben-Nes Michael - Manager
Tel: 972-4-6991122
http://sites.canaan.co.il
--------------------------

Re: locale per db / table / column

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Ben-Nes Michael writes:

> What is the down side of using more then one postmaster process ?

More resource usage.

> If I activate more then one postmaster does that mean that each postmaster
> will listen to a unique port ?

Yes, you will have to pick different ports.