Обсуждение: TCL and encoding

TCL and encoding

От
Fernando Schapachnik
Hello:
    I'm not able to get a proper encoding with TCL 8.3
and Postgres 7.1.2_2.

    I've tried setting the DB enconding to UNICODE and still
doesn't work.

    If I use TCL 8.0 the chars get stored properly on the DB but
are not shown correctly on PgAccess (they are shown in hexa).

    I've seen similar questions in the archive but haven't found
a workable solution.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks and regards!

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Planificación de red y tecnología
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

Re: TCL and encoding

От
Tatsuo Ishii
> Hello:
>     I'm not able to get a proper encoding with TCL 8.3
> and Postgres 7.1.2_2.
>
>     I've tried setting the DB enconding to UNICODE and still
> doesn't work.

What do you mean by "doesn't work?"

>     If I use TCL 8.0 the chars get stored properly on the DB but
> are not shown correctly on PgAccess (they are shown in hexa).

more detailed information?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: TCL and encoding

От
Fernando Schapachnik
Дата:
En un mensaje anterior, Tatsuo Ishii escribió:
> > Hello:
> >     I'm not able to get a proper encoding with TCL 8.3
> > and Postgres 7.1.2_2.
> >
> >     I've tried setting the DB enconding to UNICODE and still
> > doesn't work.
>
> What do you mean by "doesn't work?"

Sorry... I mean non-ASCII chars doesn't look good on PgAccess plus
they are stored as 'garbage' (really two characters).

> >     If I use TCL 8.0 the chars get stored properly on the DB but
> > are not shown correctly on PgAccess (they are shown in hexa).
>
> more detailed information?

Sure, what would you need?

Thanks!

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Planificación de red y tecnología
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

Re: TCL and encoding

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> En un mensaje anterior, Tatsuo Ishii escribió:
> > > Hello:
> > >     I'm not able to get a proper encoding with TCL 8.3
> > > and Postgres 7.1.2_2.
> > >
> > >     I've tried setting the DB enconding to UNICODE and still
> > > doesn't work.
> >
> > What do you mean by "doesn't work?"
>
> Sorry... I mean non-ASCII chars doesn't look good on PgAccess plus
> they are stored as 'garbage' (really two characters).

For Japanese, an UNICODE database and TCL 8.3 combo works well. What
kind of charset (encoding) are you using? Can I have your data
(produced by pg_dump) so that I could reproduce your problem?

> > >     If I use TCL 8.0 the chars get stored properly on the DB but
> > > are not shown correctly on PgAccess (they are shown in hexa).
> >
> > more detailed information?
>
> Sure, what would you need?

Please tell me the database encoding.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: TCL and encoding

От
Fernando Schapachnik
Дата:
En un mensaje anterior, Tatsuo Ishii escribió:
> > Sorry... I mean non-ASCII chars doesn't look good on PgAccess plus
> > they are stored as 'garbage' (really two characters).
>
> For Japanese, an UNICODE database and TCL 8.3 combo works well. What
> kind of charset (encoding) are you using? Can I have your data
> (produced by pg_dump) so that I could reproduce your problem?
>
> Please tell me the database encoding.

The database prueba (spanish for test) is UNICODE:

prueba=> \l
        List of databases
  Database   | Owner | Encoding
-------------+-------+-----------
 prueba      | pgsql | UNICODE
 template0   | pgsql | SQL_ASCII

prueba=> select * from prueba;
  nombre
----------
 áéíó
 áéÑ
 aeiá
 áéíó
 áé
 áéíñ
(7 rows)

Second, fifth and seventh row (the ones that are OK) where generated
either using TCL 8.0 or psql. The others are from PgAccess and TCL
8.3

I will send you the dump off-list.