Обсуждение: Vacuum and Transactions

Vacuum and Transactions

От
"Trewern, Ben"
Дата:
Hi all,

I am having the following problems using Postgres 7.1.2 with clients which
have long transactions:

If there is a transaction running when 'vacuumdb -a -z' is run (as a cron
job) it stops running at that database till the transaction completes.  That
is not so much of a problem until a new client tries to connect to the
database.  This new connection hangs, waiting for the vacuum to complete.
This situation is not all that helpful and means I have to be careful at
what time I run vacuum so it does not interfere with new clients.  Is this a
bug or the standard way in which postgres works and are there any plans
change this?

Regards

Ben

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
notify the sender and do not store, copy or disclose the content
to any other person.

It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that opening this
message and/or any of its attachments will not adversely affect
its systems. No responsibility is accepted by the Company.

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Trewern, Ben writes:

> If there is a transaction running when 'vacuumdb -a -z' is run (as a cron
> job) it stops running at that database till the transaction completes.  That
> is not so much of a problem until a new client tries to connect to the
> database.  This new connection hangs, waiting for the vacuum to complete.

There are plans to make vacuum less intrusive in the next major release,
but until then this is what you have to deal with.  Unless you really need
to run vacuum all the time you should schedule it for low activity times.
Yes, that means 24/7 100% uptime is not *really* feasible with PostgreSQL.

> This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential

If the email is confidential you shouldn't send it to public mailing
lists.

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

Дата:
In 7.2, VACUUM will not require an exclusive lock.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

От
"Richard Huxton"
From: "Trewern, Ben" <Ben.Trewern@mowlem.com>

> If there is a transaction running when 'vacuumdb -a -z' is run (as a cron
> job) it stops running at that database till the transaction completes.
That
> is not so much of a problem until a new client tries to connect to the
> database.  This new connection hangs, waiting for the vacuum to complete.
> This situation is not all that helpful and means I have to be careful at
> what time I run vacuum so it does not interfere with new clients.  Is this
> bug or the standard way in which postgres works and are there any plans
> change this?

Would vacuuming the tables one at a time not help here? It'd mean a small
script to read a list of databases/tables out of PG but should reduce the
impact on your clients (if I'm thinking straight here)

- Richard Huxton

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

Дата:
> >> In 7.2, VACUUM will not require an exclusive lock.
>
> > Care to elaborate on that?  How are you going to do it?
>
> Uh, have you not been paying attention to pg-hackers for the
> last two months?
>
> I am assuming here that concurrent VACUUM will become the default
> kind of vacuum, and the old style will be invoked by some other
> syntax (VACUUM FULL ..., maybe).

By concurrent vacuum, do you mean the auto-vacuum you are doing?  I
realize that will not need a lock.  Are you changing default VACUUM so
it only moves rows inside existing blocks too?

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

Дата:
> Are you changing default VACUUM

Only to the extent of not being the default.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

Дата:
> In 7.2, VACUUM will not require an exclusive lock.

Care to elaborate on that?  How are you going to do it?

Re: Vacuum and Transactions

Дата: