Обсуждение: RE: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ......

RE: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ......

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Lincy Lin wrote:

> Thanks your reply.
>
> Actully, We are using 4 fields (CompanySerialNo, BrahcnOffice,
> DepartmentCategory, Department) to check employee work for which
> company parimary. Well, we have many company here (In Taiwan) have
> multi-company name but in same office. Some employee work for all
> multi-company. But our system only allow one employee belong to one
> company in this time.
>
> Create Table CompanyInfo
> (
>     CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    Parimary Key,
>     LocalName        Text,
>     EnglishName        Text,
> );
>
> Create Table DepartmentInfo
> (
>     CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    References CompanyInfo
>                         On Update Cascade
>                         On Delete Cascade,
>     BranchOffice        Char(40) Default '',
>     DepartmentCategory    Char(40) Default '',
>     Department        Char(40) Default ''
>     /* Primary Key (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice,
> DepartmentCategory, Department) */ );
>
> Create Table EmployeeInfo
> (
>     EmployeeNo        Char(20)    Primary Key,
>     LocalName        Text,
>     FirstName        Text,
>     LastName        Text,
>     CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    References CompanyInfo
>                         On Update Cascade
>                         On Delete Cascade,
>     BranchOffice        Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (BranchOffice)    */
>                         /* On Update Cascade                */
>                         /* On Delete Set Default,                */
>     DepartmentCategory    Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (DepartmentCategory)*/
>                         /* On Update Cascade                */
>                         /* On Delete Set Default,                */
>     Department        Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (Department)        */
>                         /* On Update Cascade                */
>                         /* On Delete Set Default,                */
> );
>
>     If
>
>     1. one company don't allow multi-department with same name
>          How to set the references in EmployeeInfo table ?

>     2. one company allow multi-department with same name (But not
> with same BranchOffice and/or DepartmentCategory).
>         How to set the references in EmployeeInfo table ?

Okay, since it looks like your key in DepartmentInfo is
>     /* Primary Key (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice,
> DepartmentCategory, Department) */ );

You should probably make sure the primary key is defined in
DepartmentInfo and do something like

FOREIGN KEY (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice, DepartmentCategory,
Department) REFERENCES DepartmentInfo

as a table constraint in EmployeeInfo.

>     I think the postgresql from 7.0.3 to 7.1.2 have change some
> basic rule. The old code work fine in 7.0.3 but not ok in 7.1.2.

Yeah, 7.0.3 was technically broken.  The spec requires the unique
constraint, but we didn't check it yet.

Re: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ......

От
eddie iannuccelli
Дата:
Regrading your discussion, at the end, what is the difference between a
REFERENCE clause in a field definition and a FOREIGN KEY in the table
definition ? What is the best solution to implement a classical foreign
key in a table ?

thanks

Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Lincy Lin wrote:
>

>> Thanks your reply.
>>
>> Actully, We are using 4 fields (CompanySerialNo, BrahcnOffice,
>> DepartmentCategory, Department) to check employee work for which
>> company parimary. Well, we have many company here (In Taiwan) have
>> multi-company name but in same office. Some employee work for all
>> multi-company. But our system only allow one employee belong to one
>> company in this time.
>>
>> Create Table CompanyInfo
>> (
>>     CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    Parimary Key,
>>     LocalName        Text,
>>     EnglishName        Text,
>> );
>>
>> Create Table DepartmentInfo
>> (
>>     CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    References CompanyInfo
>>                         On Update Cascade
>>                         On Delete Cascade,
>>     BranchOffice        Char(40) Default '',
>>     DepartmentCategory    Char(40) Default '',
>>     Department        Char(40) Default ''
>>     /* Primary Key (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice,
>> DepartmentCategory, Department) */ );
>>
>> Create Table EmployeeInfo
>> (
>>     EmployeeNo        Char(20)    Primary Key,
>>     LocalName        Text,
>>     FirstName        Text,
>>     LastName        Text,
>>     CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    References CompanyInfo
>>                         On Update Cascade
>>                         On Delete Cascade,
>>     BranchOffice        Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (BranchOffice)    */
>>                         /* On Update Cascade                */
>>                         /* On Delete Set Default,                */
>>     DepartmentCategory    Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (DepartmentCategory)*/
>>                         /* On Update Cascade                */
>>                         /* On Delete Set Default,                */
>>     Department        Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (Department)        */
>>                         /* On Update Cascade                */
>>                         /* On Delete Set Default,                */
>> );
>>
>>     If
>>
>>     1. one company don't allow multi-department with same name
>>          How to set the references in EmployeeInfo table ?
>

>>     2. one company allow multi-department with same name (But not
>> with same BranchOffice and/or DepartmentCategory).
>>         How to set the references in EmployeeInfo table ?
>

> Okay, since it looks like your key in DepartmentInfo is
>
>>     /* Primary Key (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice,
>> DepartmentCategory, Department) */ );
>

> You should probably make sure the primary key is defined in
> DepartmentInfo and do something like
>
> FOREIGN KEY (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice, DepartmentCategory,
> Department) REFERENCES DepartmentInfo
>
> as a table constraint in EmployeeInfo.
>

>>     I think the postgresql from 7.0.3 to 7.1.2 have change some
>> basic rule. The old code work fine in 7.0.3 but not ok in 7.1.2.
>

> Yeah, 7.0.3 was technically broken.  The spec requires the unique
> constraint, but we didn't check it yet.

Eddie IANNUCCELLI - tel: 05 61 28 54 44
INRA, Laboratoire de Génétique Cellulaire
Chemin de Borde Rouge - Auzeville -BP27
31326 Castanet Tolosan

Db creation script for referenced table ......

От
eddie iannuccelli
Дата:
Hi,

I plan to design DB through pgaccess, but later I will need to
distribute a DB creation script so is there any command in pgsql to
produce the DB creation script ?

Thanks

Eddie IANNUCCELLI - tel: 05 61 28 54 44
INRA, Laboratoire de Génétique Cellulaire
Chemin de Borde Rouge - Auzeville -BP27
31326 Castanet Tolosan

Re: Db creation script for referenced table ......

От
GH
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:16:50AM -0400, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to design DB through pgaccess, but later I will need to
> distribute a DB creation script so is there any command in pgsql to
> produce the DB creation script ?

`man pg_dump`
pg_dump -s

gh

> Thanks

> Eddie IANNUCCELLI - tel: 05 61 28 54 44

Re: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ......

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, eddie iannuccelli wrote:

> Regrading your discussion, at the end, what is the difference between a
> REFERENCE clause in a field definition and a FOREIGN KEY in the table
> definition ? What is the best solution to implement a classical foreign
> key in a table ?

"If a <column constraint definition> is specified that contains a
<references specification>, then it is equivalent to a <table constraint
definition> that contains the followin g<table constraint>:
    CND FOREIGN KEY (C) <references specification> CA"

The only major difference that you generally have to worry about is
that table FOREIGN KEY constraints allow you to have multiple column
key references.  It's similar to the difference between the column
and table level PRIMARY KEY specifications.

Generally I personally use the column level one for single column
keys and only use the table one for multiple column keys although that's
mostly a matter of style.  I'm sure there are people that use the
table one for everything.

RE: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ......

От
"Lincy Lin"
Thanks, I have change my code as you suggest.    :)