Обсуждение: Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."

Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."

От
"Neil Conway"
Дата:
Hi everyone,

I'm getting hundreds of errors in my Postgres (7.0.2) logs like this:

    ERROR:  Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported

Postgres is compiled without multi-byte support and the encoding on the
database is SQL_ASCII. AFAIK, there is no need to store UNICODE (but I
might be wrong -- if that's the problem, tell me).

Since the database is accessed by hundreds of different clients
(interfacing using JDBC, PHP4, Perl, and perhaps others), I'm having
difficulty tracking down where these errors are coming from and why
they're occuring.

Does anyone know why this error would occur, and under what circumstances?

Just ask if you need more information.

TIA,

Neil

Re: Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."

Дата:
"Neil Conway" <neilconway@home.com> writes:
> I'm getting hundreds of errors in my Postgres (7.0.2) logs like this:
>     ERROR:  Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported
> Postgres is compiled without multi-byte support and the encoding on the
> database is SQL_ASCII. AFAIK, there is no need to store UNICODE (but I
> might be wrong -- if that's the problem, tell me).

> Since the database is accessed by hundreds of different clients
> (interfacing using JDBC, PHP4, Perl, and perhaps others), I'm having
> difficulty tracking down where these errors are coming from and why
> they're occuring.

Sounds to me like some of your clients *are* compiled with multibyte
support, and are asking for conversion to Unicode.  I'm not an expert
on the multibyte stuff though...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error: "Conversion between UNICODE..."

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> I'm getting hundreds of errors in my Postgres (7.0.2) logs like this:
>
>     ERROR:  Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported
>
> Postgres is compiled without multi-byte support and the encoding on the
> database is SQL_ASCII. AFAIK, there is no need to store UNICODE (but I
> might be wrong -- if that's the problem, tell me).
>
> Since the database is accessed by hundreds of different clients
> (interfacing using JDBC, PHP4, Perl, and perhaps others), I'm having
> difficulty tracking down where these errors are coming from and why
> they're occuring.

1. This message is coming from parse_client_encoding() in the backend,
   which is never active without multi-byte support. So I'm sure you
   are using multi-byte enabled backend. Please check your
   installation.

2. The error message indicates that your client asks UNICODE as the
   frontend side encoding, but the database is configured with
   SQL_ASCII encoding.
--
Tatsuo Ishii