Обсуждение: Functionality

Functionality

От
Brian Kejser
Дата:
Hi

I have been learning postgresql for the last couple days and I have been
trying to determine what it can and cannot do in relation to Oracle (where I
have several years experience).

Questions

1. Can postgresql load/pin objects (i.e. tables, procedures, etc.)  into
memory at startup?
2. Does postgresql use a SQL cache like Oracle? If so, can the cache be
viewed or summarized using SQL?
3. Is it possible to return anything other than a single value from a
server-side procedure. If so, how?
4. Can SQL be parameterized like in Oracle (i.e. "SELECT name FROM table
WHERE somefield = :var1")?
5. Does postgresql support SQL hints (belong using the JOIN keyword)?
6. Does postgresql use table spaces like in Oracle (i.e. database objects
are placed if different tables spaces according to usage)?

Thanks

Re: Functionality

Дата:
> Hi
>
> I have been learning postgresql for the last couple days and I have been
> trying to determine what it can and cannot do in relation to Oracle (where I
> have several years experience).
>
> Questions
>
> 1. Can postgresql load/pin objects (i.e. tables, procedures, etc.)  into
> memory at startup?

No.

> 2. Does postgresql use a SQL cache like Oracle? If so, can the cache be
> viewed or summarized using SQL?

No, I don't think so.

> 3. Is it possible to return anything other than a single value from a
> server-side procedure. If so, how?

No.

> 4. Can SQL be parameterized like in Oracle (i.e. "SELECT name FROM table
> WHERE somefield = :var1")?

No.

> 5. Does postgresql support SQL hints (belong using the JOIN keyword)?

No.

> 6. Does postgresql use table spaces like in Oracle (i.e. database objects
> are placed if different tables spaces according to usage)?

No.

Re: Functionality

От
Jonathan Bartlett
Дата:
> > 5. Does postgresql support SQL hints (belong using the JOIN keyword)?
>
> No.

I believe there is an explicit join syntax.  Too lazy to look it up.  It's
more than just hints, though, it's a totally different syntax.

Jon

Re: Functionality

Дата:
> > > 5. Does postgresql support SQL hints (belong using the JOIN keyword)?
> >
> > No.
> >

> I believe there is an explicit join syntax.  Too lazy to look it up.  It's
> more than just hints, though, it's a totally different syntax.

The JOIN is really not for optimizer hints, which I believe was his
question.  If he wants full ANSI JOIN syntax, we have that.