Обсуждение: Data conversion question

Data conversion question

От
Bill
Дата:
I have some data in dBase III compatible files (created with Alpha
Four, v4) that I want to move to Postgresql. I have already read the
Admin pages of the manual and didn't see anything that would point
the way.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Would it help if I exported
the files to some other format ... perhaps CSV? Alpha Four offers
several common (but older) file formats for export.

I read a post earlier where someone was advised to read the FAQ but
I'm new to the neighborhood and don't know where to find them.

If the conversion is not going to be fairly straightforward using
just pgsql, could someone point me to a conversion script or program
somewhere?

I don't want to become a pgsql guru ... I just want to read and edit
THIS data and continue to add to these tables.

Bill
--
Sure there are lots of people like you. And they are all unique, too.

Re: Data conversion question

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Bill <justbill@ameritech.net> writes:

> I have some data in dBase III compatible files (created with Alpha
> Four, v4) that I want to move to Postgresql. I have already read the
> Admin pages of the manual and didn't see anything that would point
> the way.
>
> Does anyone else have any suggestions? Would it help if I exported
> the files to some other format ... perhaps CSV? Alpha Four offers
> several common (but older) file formats for export.

You have a couple options.

There is a Perl module (called DBD::XBase IIRC) that lets you treat
dBase-ish files as a (limited) SQL database.  So you could write a
Perl script that reads from your dBase files and inserts into your PG
database.

Or you could see if it's possible to export from Alpha Four in a
format that the PostgreSQL "COPY" command can deal with--basically,
one record per line, no quotes, with fields delimited by a character
("|", say) that doesn't appear in the data.  If you can do this, you
can use COPY to import the data and it will be fast and convenient.

http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/docs/faq-english.html

> If the conversion is not going to be fairly straightforward using
> just pgsql, could someone point me to a conversion script or program
> somewhere?
>
> I don't want to become a pgsql guru ... I just want to read and edit
> THIS data and continue to add to these tables.

Hope my ramblings above are helpful...

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,