Обсуждение: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

От
James Thornton
Дата:
I get this error when trying to start postgres with a block size > the
default of 64...

[postgres@roam pgsql]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -B 2000 -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
size=33652736, permission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region

I am running PG 7.03, and I assume that you'll want to need to know my
OS...

[postgres@roam pgsql]$ uname -a
Linux roam 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar 7 21:07:39 EST 2000 i686 unknown

(RedHat 6.2)

Thanks.

- JT
James Thornton, http://jamesthornton.com

Re: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

От
James Thornton
Дата:
James Thornton wrote:

> I get this error when trying to start postgres with a block size > the
> default of 64...
>
> [postgres@roam pgsql]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -B 2000 -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
> size=33652736, permission=600
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region
>
> I am running PG 7.03, and I assume that you'll want to need to know my
> OS...
>
> [postgres@roam pgsql]$ uname -a
> Linux roam 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar 7 21:07:39 EST 2000 i686 unknown
>
> (RedHat 6.2)

I found the solution at
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC-PARAMETERS

In a nutshell...

(regarding GNU/Linux)

The default shared memory limit (both SHMMAX and SHMALL) is 32 MB in 2.2 kernels, but it can be changed in the proc
filesystem (without reboot). For example, to allow 128
MB:

$ echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmall
$ echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

    NOTE: 134217728 = 128 * 1024 * 1024

You could put these commands into a script run at boot-time.

Alternatively, you can use sysctl, if available, to control these parameters. Look for a file called /etc/sysctl.conf
andadd lines like the following to it:

kernel.shmall = 134217728
kernel.shmmax = 134217728

This file is usually processed at boot time, but sysctl can also be called explicitly later.

Other parameters are sufficiently sized for any application. If you want to see for yourself look into
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-xxx/shmparam.hand
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/sem.h.

- JT
James Thornton, http://jamesthornton.com

Re: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

От
"Steve Wolfe"
Дата:
> I get this error when trying to start postgres with a block size > the
> default of 64...
>
> [postgres@roam pgsql]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -B 2000 -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
> size=33652736, permission=600
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region

  Perhaps someone should write a platform-specific FAQ for Linux that
answers this question, so that the link provided would actually be useful.
If there are no other takers, I'll volunteer.

steve

Re: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

От
"Steve Wolfe"
Дата:
> >   Perhaps someone should write a platform-specific FAQ for Linux that
> > answers this question, so that the link provided would actually be
useful.

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.h
tml#SYSVIPC

  Perhaps it should be put in the platform-specific FAQ's, since that's
where users are pointed when they get the error.

steve

Re: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Steve Wolfe writes:

>   Perhaps someone should write a platform-specific FAQ for Linux that
> answers this question, so that the link provided would actually be useful.

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC

Re: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

Дата:
> > >   Perhaps someone should write a platform-specific FAQ for Linux that
> > > answers this question, so that the link provided would actually be
> useful.
> >

> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.h
> tml#SYSVIPC
>
>   Perhaps it should be put in the platform-specific FAQ's, since that's
> where users are pointed when they get the error.

But we moved all the platform-specific kernel stuff to the
administrator's manual.  I will update the error message.

Re: IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)

Дата:
I just checked and 7.1 has the proper mention of the Administrator's
Guide.