Обсуждение: semi-stupid question (index on OID)

semi-stupid question (index on OID)

От
Alex Pilosov
Дата:
Hi,

I though that searches on a table based on oid should be very fast (select
* from table where oid=####), however, this doesn't appear to be the case.

My assumption was that essentially, if there is no clustering on the
table, it is physically ordered by OID. Is that correct? Or vacuum may
rearrange tuples without regard of their order? (...how does vacuum cope
with clustered tables then?)

-alex

Re: semi-stupid question (index on OID)

Дата:
Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> writes:
> I though that searches on a table based on oid should be very fast (select
> * from table where oid=####), however, this doesn't appear to be the case.

Not unless you create an index on OID.

> My assumption was that essentially, if there is no clustering on the
> table, it is physically ordered by OID. Is that correct?

No, OID has little or nothing to do with physical location.

            regards, tom lane