Обсуждение: Relation XX does not exist

Relation XX does not exist

От
Matt Allen
Дата:
Hi Guys,

Just started using PG today, bought the book and all was cruising along well untill i got the following error:

Relation 'jobdetails' does not exist

when i issued:

INSERT INTO jobdetails (jobDetailsID, jobID, claimName , claimNumber ,placementDate , completionDate, invType ,
insType)values
(7, 72,'P1234','Mr T',986453483,988639200, 'S', 'W')

All seems to be right here:

impmp=> \d
         List of relations
      Name      |   Type   | Owner
----------------+----------+-------
 jobDetails     | table    | impmp
 jobdetails_seq | sequence | impmp
 jobs           | table    | impmp
 jobs_seq       | sequence | impmp
(4 rows)

Any clues ? Ive restarted the SQL server and to no avail.

Thanks.
Matt

Re: Relation XX does not exist

От
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Дата:
PostgreSQL is case sensetive, so jobdetails is not the same as jobDetails.

Poul L. Christiansen

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Matt Allen wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just started using PG today, bought the book and all was cruising along well untill i got the following error:
>
> Relation 'jobdetails' does not exist
>
> when i issued:
>
> INSERT INTO jobdetails (jobDetailsID, jobID, claimName , claimNumber ,placementDate , completionDate, invType ,
insType)values
> (7, 72,'P1234','Mr T',986453483,988639200, 'S', 'W')
>
> All seems to be right here:
>
> impmp=> \d
>          List of relations
>       Name      |   Type   | Owner
> ----------------+----------+-------
>  jobDetails     | table    | impmp
>  jobdetails_seq | sequence | impmp
>  jobs           | table    | impmp
>  jobs_seq       | sequence | impmp
> (4 rows)
>
> Any clues ? Ive restarted the SQL server and to no avail.
>
> Thanks.
> Matt

Re: Relation XX does not exist

От
Anand Raman
Дата:
Hi Poul
i guess u are gravely mistaken..
The table names in pgsql are not case sentive they are all case
insentive..b Try it out. However if u enclose the name in quotes and
create the table then it is case sensitive.. To access such tables u
willalways have to enclose then in quotes..

Anand

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:28:43AM +0200, Poul L. Christiansen wrote:
>PostgreSQL is case sensetive, so jobdetails is not the same as jobDetails.
>
>Poul L. Christiansen
>
>On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Matt Allen wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Just started using PG today, bought the book and all was cruising along well untill i got the following error:
>>
>> Relation 'jobdetails' does not exist
>>
>> when i issued:
>>
>> INSERT INTO jobdetails (jobDetailsID, jobID, claimName , claimNumber ,placementDate , completionDate, invType ,
insType)values
>> (7, 72,'P1234','Mr T',986453483,988639200, 'S', 'W')
>>
>> All seems to be right here:
>>
>> impmp=> \d
>>          List of relations
>>       Name      |   Type   | Owner
>> ----------------+----------+-------
>>  jobDetails     | table    | impmp
>>  jobdetails_seq | sequence | impmp
>>  jobs           | table    | impmp
>>  jobs_seq       | sequence | impmp
>> (4 rows)

Re: Relation XX does not exist

От
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Дата:
You are right when it comes to the psql client, but I'm using ODBC on MS
Windows (with Cold Fusion and PgAdmin) and maybe he is using clients other
than psql to insert into PostgreSQL that has this problem.

Poul L. Christiansen

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Anand Raman wrote:

> Hi Poul
> i guess u are gravely mistaken..
> The table names in pgsql are not case sentive they are all case
> insentive..b Try it out. However if u enclose the name in quotes and
> create the table then it is case sensitive.. To access such tables u
> willalways have to enclose then in quotes..
>
> Anand
>
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:28:43AM +0200, Poul L. Christiansen wrote:
> >PostgreSQL is case sensetive, so jobdetails is not the same as jobDetails.
> >
> >Poul L. Christiansen
> >
> >On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Matt Allen wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Guys,
> >>
> >> Just started using PG today, bought the book and all was cruising along well untill i got the following error:
> >>
> >> Relation 'jobdetails' does not exist
> >>
> >> when i issued:
> >>
> >> INSERT INTO jobdetails (jobDetailsID, jobID, claimName , claimNumber ,placementDate , completionDate, invType ,
insType)values
> >> (7, 72,'P1234','Mr T',986453483,988639200, 'S', 'W')
> >>
> >> All seems to be right here:
> >>
> >> impmp=> \d
> >>          List of relations
> >>       Name      |   Type   | Owner
> >> ----------------+----------+-------
> >>  jobDetails     | table    | impmp
> >>  jobdetails_seq | sequence | impmp
> >>  jobs           | table    | impmp
> >>  jobs_seq       | sequence | impmp
> >> (4 rows)

Re: Relation XX does not exist

От
Matt Allen
Дата:
Hi all,

ive tried the same insert statement on the command line too, with both caps and lower no go.

im connecting to pgsql though PHP compiles as a DSO though apache.

Its on a linux machine.

Matta

--
Matt Allen
Technical Director
Investigation Marketplace
0413 777 771
matt@investigationmarketplace.com

RE: Relation XX does not exist

От
"Joseph"
Дата:
At the psql prompt you must put double quotes around table names that need
to be case sensitive...

Can you do
    SELECT * FROM "jobDetails";

respectfully,
Joseph

Дата:
Hi,

Its all good ... any table name or column with a Cpaital letter in it needs to be enclosed in "" 's ...

Just out of curiostiy, which way do you guys do it?

jobdetails
job_details
or
"jobDetiails"

Thanks,

Matt

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 06:01:54AM +0100, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> Try using quotes, ie: INSERT INTO "TableName" VALUES......
>
> does that work?
>
> -r

*snip*

> > claimNumber ,placementDate , completionDate, invType , insType) values

Re: Relation XX does not exist

От
Joel Burton
Дата:
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Matt Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Its all good ... any table name or column with a Cpaital letter in it needs to be enclosed in "" 's ...
>
> Just out of curiostiy, which way do you guys do it?
>
> jobdetails
> job_details
> or
> "jobDetiails"

jobdetails. I don't find it hard to read, and prefer to use underscore
strategically, rather than to separate everyday words.

Typing all the quotes and shifting seems like way too much work, and opens
some confusions with different clients.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>