Обсуждение: how to load a sql-file????

how to load a sql-file????

От
markus jais
Дата:
hi,
maybe this is somewhere in the docs but I couldn't find
it.
I am a beginner to postgresql and do not know much till now.
I have bought a book on SQL and now I want to
import the sample databases into postgresql
they are provided as *.sql.

in MySQL I can type something like in Bash on my linux box:

$ mysql -u root -p < file.sql

then the file file.sql is read.

can you tell me how to do this with postgresql???
thanks a lot.

markus

--
Markus Jais
http://www.mjais.de

Re: how to load a sql-file????

От
Zachary Beane
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 09:42:39PM +0000, markus jais wrote:
> hi,
> maybe this is somewhere in the docs but I couldn't find
> it.
> I am a beginner to postgresql and do not know much till now.
> I have bought a book on SQL and now I want to
> import the sample databases into postgresql
> they are provided as *.sql.

You can do "psql -f yourfile.sql" from the shell, or, from within
psql, type "\i yourfile.sql".

Zach
--
xach@xach.com     Zachary Beane     http://www.xach.com/

Re: how to load a sql-file????

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
psql <database_name> -U postgres -f loadfile.sql

Should do what you want.  Or if you are already in
psql take a look at the \i command.

Jason

--- markus jais <mjais@web.de> wrote:
> hi,
> maybe this is somewhere in the docs but I couldn't
> find
> it.
> I am a beginner to postgresql and do not know much
> till now.
> I have bought a book on SQL and now I want to
> import the sample databases into postgresql
> they are provided as *.sql.
>
> in MySQL I can type something like in Bash on my
> linux box:
>
> $ mysql -u root -p < file.sql
>
> then the file file.sql is read.
>
> can you tell me how to do this with postgresql???
> thanks a lot.
>
> markus
>

> --
> Markus Jais
> http://www.mjais.de
> info@mjais.de
> The road goes ever on and on - Bilbo Baggins
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: how to load a sql-file????

От
Ron Peterson
Дата:
Jason Earl wrote:

> psql <database_name> -U postgres -f loadfile.sql
>
> Should do what you want.  Or if you are already in
> psql take a look at the \i command.

Especially if you're just starting, you might like to start psql as
'psql -s'.  This puts you in single step mode, so when you use \i, the
SQL commands you are loading will be executed one at a time.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager

Re: how to load a sql-file????

От
Marek Pętlicki
Дата:
On Tuesday, March, 2001-03-27 at 21:42:39, markus jais wrote:
> hi,
> maybe this is somewhere in the docs but I couldn't find
> it.
> I am a beginner to postgresql and do not know much till now.
> I have bought a book on SQL and now I want to
> import the sample databases into postgresql
> they are provided as *.sql.
>
> in MySQL I can type something like in Bash on my linux box:
>
> $ mysql -u root -p < file.sql
>
> then the file file.sql is read.
>
> can you tell me how to do this with postgresql???
> thanks a lot.

very similar:

    psql dbname username < file.sql

should work

(you can well omit username if it is the same as your login name)

regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet@buy.pl>

Re: how to load a sql-file????

От
will trillich
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:17:31AM +0200, Marek Pêtlicki wrote:
> On Tuesday, March, 2001-03-27 at 21:42:39, markus jais wrote:
> > hi,
> > maybe this is somewhere in the docs but I couldn't find
> > it.
> > I am a beginner to postgresql and do not know much till now.
> > I have bought a book on SQL and now I want to
> > import the sample databases into postgresql
> > they are provided as *.sql.
> >
> > in MySQL I can type something like in Bash on my linux box:
> >
> > $ mysql -u root -p < file.sql
> >
> > then the file file.sql is read.
> >
> > can you tell me how to do this with postgresql???
> > thanks a lot.
>
> very similar:
>
>     psql dbname username < file.sql
>
> should work
>
> (you can well omit username if it is the same as your login name)

if your sql is flawless, go right ahead.

since psql reads "<file" from its STDIN, it won't include any
line numbers to help you track down troubles. (as far as it's
concerned, you're just typing reeeeal fast, so the feedback would
occur right as you type, so line numbers would be superfluous.)

on the other hand, both

    psql -f file-containing-sql mydb

and

    psql mydb
    mydb=> \i file-containing-sql

will spit out error messages including line numbers to help you
debug your sql.

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!

Re: how to load a sql-file????

От
Marek Pętlicki
Дата:
On Wednesday, March, 2001-03-28 at 16:55:55, will trillich wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:17:31AM +0200, Marek Pętlicki wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March, 2001-03-27 at 21:42:39, markus jais wrote:
> > >
> > > in MySQL I can type something like in Bash on my linux box:
> > >
> > > $ mysql -u root -p < file.sql
> > >
> > > then the file file.sql is read.
> > >
> > > can you tell me how to do this with postgresql???
> > > thanks a lot.
> >
> > very similar:
> >
> >     psql dbname username < file.sql
> >
> > should work
> >
> > (you can well omit username if it is the same as your login name)
>
> if your sql is flawless, go right ahead.
>
> since psql reads "<file" from its STDIN, it won't include any
> line numbers to help you track down troubles. (as far as it's
> concerned, you're just typing reeeeal fast, so the feedback would
> occur right as you type, so line numbers would be superfluous.)
>
> on the other hand, both
>
>     psql -f file-containing-sql mydb
>
> and
>
>     psql mydb
>     mydb=> \i file-containing-sql
>
> will spit out error messages including line numbers to help you
> debug your sql.

off course, but note that the question was if one could use '< file.sql'

It is the same mechanism as issuing:

    my_program_creating_sql | psql dbname username

(for example to use compressed dump to restore without decompressing it
to the disk first) which can't be done with -f option ;-)

Nevertheless your remark about debugging errors in sql files is very
important...

regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet@buy.pl>