Обсуждение: records zapped to null

records zapped to null

От
Stephen Davies
Дата:
Hello again.

I have just had to restore a database from backup because the majority
of records in one table had "magically" become null.

Last Friday morning there were some 700 valid rows in the table but yesterday
all but 42 had become totally null.

Restoring from Thursday night's backup repaired things so I am
wondering what could have happened in between to cause this strange
phenomenon.

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen Davies

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

Re: records zapped to null

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
* Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au> [010326 21:36]:
> Hello again.
>
> I have just had to restore a database from backup because the majority
> of records in one table had "magically" become null.
>
> Last Friday morning there were some 700 valid rows in the table but yesterday
> all but 42 had become totally null.
>
> Restoring from Thursday night's backup repaired things so I am
> wondering what could have happened in between to cause this strange
> phenomenon.
What version of PostgreSQL?

What Platform?

What type of queries?

LER

> Cheers and thanks,
> Stephen Davies

> Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
> Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
> Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: records zapped to null

От
Stephen Davies
Дата:
Oops! Sorry.

7.0.2 and Linux.

The database is accessed from a VB5 app via ODBC.

Stephen

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:38:09 -0600, Larry Rosenman said:
> * Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au> [010326 21:36]:
> > Hello again.
> >
> > I have just had to restore a database from backup because the majority
> > of records in one table had "magically" become null.
> >
> > Last Friday morning there were some 700 valid rows in the table but yesterd
> ay
> > all but 42 had become totally null.
> >
> > Restoring from Thursday night's backup repaired things so I am
> > wondering what could have happened in between to cause this strange
> > phenomenon.
> What version of PostgreSQL?
>
> What Platform?
>
> What type of queries?
>
> LER
>

> > Cheers and thanks,
> > Stephen Davies

> > Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
> > Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
> > Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

> Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
> Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
> US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

Re: records zapped to null

Дата:
Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au> writes:
> I have just had to restore a database from backup because the majority
> of records in one table had "magically" become null.

There's no such thing as a null record in Postgres.  What do you mean
exactly: were the records still present but their fields all read as
nulls?

What is the declaration of the table?

            regards, tom lane

Re: records zapped to null

От
Stephen Davies
Дата:
Yes, that is what I mean: every column in the affected rows had been
changed to null;

The description is:

                         Table "request"
  Attribute  |   Type   |                Modifier
-------------+----------+----------------------------------------
 id          | integer  | default nextval('reqid'::text)
 agency_id   | integer  |
 opportunity | text     |
 start_date  | date     |
 end_date    | date     |
 focus       | text     |
 slots       | smallint |
 filled      | smallint |
 referred    | smallint |
 date_recd   | date     | default date("timestamp"('now'::text))
 task        | text     |
 uflg        | boolean  | default 'f'
Indices: redtx,
         reqkey,
         rfocx,
         rmemx,
         rsdtx,
         tskx

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:09:46 -0500, Tom Lane said:
> Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au> writes:
> > I have just had to restore a database from backup because the majority
> > of records in one table had "magically" become null.
>
> There's no such thing as a null record in Postgres.  What do you mean
> exactly: were the records still present but their fields all read as
> nulls?
>
> What is the declaration of the table?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Stephen Davies Consulting                              scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                         Fax: 08-8177 0133

Re: records zapped to null

От
"Eric G. Miller"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:02:57PM +0930, Stephen Davies wrote:
> Yes, that is what I mean: every column in the affected rows had been
> changed to null;
>
> The description is:
>
>                          Table "request"
>   Attribute  |   Type   |                Modifier
> -------------+----------+----------------------------------------
>  id          | integer  | default nextval('reqid'::text)
>  agency_id   | integer  |
>  opportunity | text     |
>  start_date  | date     |
>  end_date    | date     |
>  focus       | text     |
>  slots       | smallint |
>  filled      | smallint |
>  referred    | smallint |
>  date_recd   | date     | default date("timestamp"('now'::text))
>  task        | text     |
>  uflg        | boolean  | default 'f'
> Indices: redtx,
>          reqkey,
>          rfocx,
>          rmemx,
>          rsdtx,
>          tskx
>

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:09:46 -0500, Tom Lane said:
> > Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au> writes:
> > > I have just had to restore a database from backup because the majority
> > > of records in one table had "magically" become null.
> >
> > There's no such thing as a null record in Postgres.  What do you mean
> > exactly: were the records still present but their fields all read as
> > nulls?
> >
> > What is the declaration of the table?
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

So you have nothing to prevent ...

UPDATE request
SET id = NULL, agency_id = NULL, opportunity = NULL,
start_date = NULL, end_date = NULL, focus = NULL,
slots = NULL, filled = NULL, referred = NULL, date_recd = NULL,
task = NULL, uflg = NULL;

... from succeeding.  I'd suspect an errant query/update, perhaps tied
to one of the original values of one of your fields (say agency_id ??).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>