Обсуждение: Extreme Newbie Questions

Extreme Newbie Questions

От
Lydia Osborne
Дата:
Hello all,
What version of Linux does ProgreSQL run best on? The references I've been
able to find only mention RedHat.
Also, does anyone know of a web-based e-mail app that coexists peacefully
with it?
Thanks!

Lydia Osborne
Exchange Technician
Weatherford College
225 College Park Dr.
Weatherford, TX 76086
817) 598-6362
Pager (817)599-2636
enter 505 and your number to page me)
osborne@wc.edu

Re: Extreme Newbie Questions

От
will trillich
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:44:41PM -0600, Lydia Osborne wrote:
> Hello all,

> What version of Linux does ProgreSQL run best on? The
> references I've been able to find only mention RedHat.  Also,
> does anyone know of a web-based e-mail app that coexists
> peacefully with it?  Thanks!

works like a champ on DEBIAN 2.2 (aka potato)...

    # /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://www.samfundet.no/~tfheen/debian potato main

just

    apt-get install postgresql{,-doc,-dev,-client}

and you're off to the races.

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!

Re: Extreme Newbie Questions

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Lydia Osborne wrote:

> Hello all,
> What version of Linux does ProgreSQL run best on? The references I've been
> able to find only mention RedHat.
> Also, does anyone know of a web-based e-mail app that coexists peacefully
> with it?
> Thanks!

PostgreSQL is rigorously tested on a number of different operating
systems.  Not just linux.  If you're dead set on a flavor of linux
you can try Suse, Debian, RedHat, etc...  I don't use linux so I
can't tell you much about any of them, although I've always heard
good things technically about Suse and plan on looking at it in the
not too distant future.  If you're not really stuck on linux you can
look at the *BSD family.  I'll not get into the linux vs bsd stuff,
but FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and BSDI are all a good choice for any
of your server needs - database or otherwise.   Yahoo runs FreeBSD.
Ok, so I'm biased.

Vince.

Re: Extreme Newbie Questions

От
Michelle Murrain
Дата:
On Thursday 22 March 2001 05:44 pm, Lydia Osborne wrote:
> Hello all,
> What version of Linux does ProgreSQL run best on? The references I've been
> able to find only mention RedHat.
> Also, does anyone know of a web-based e-mail app that coexists peacefully
> with it?

I've run it on debian potato and woody, Mandrake 7.0, 7.1, RH 6.2 - all
without a hitch. I've also run it from rpms, debs (apt-get) as well as
compiled from source. If you want some particular features, I'd suggest
compiling it yourself, but it's not that hard.

Michelle
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
President
Norwottuck Technology Resources