Обсуждение: Correct behaviour of "DROP DATABASE"

Correct behaviour of "DROP DATABASE"

От
Ben Leslie
Дата:
Hi all,

I was wondering what the expected behaviour of "DROP DATABASE" was.

Basically the problem i have is that when I drop a database it seems
to drop only some of the associated tables.

The tables that it fails to drop are ones with mixed case names.

Is this expected?

Cheers,

Benno

Re: Correct behaviour of "DROP DATABASE"

От
GH
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:11:02PM +1100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering what the expected behaviour of "DROP DATABASE" was.
>
> Basically the problem i have is that when I drop a database it seems
> to drop only some of the associated tables.
>
> The tables that it fails to drop are ones with mixed case names.

How are you seeing that?
After creating a database and a mixed-case-named table and dropping the
table, I am unable to connect to the (presumably `drop`ped) database.

> Is this expected?

It is certainly not what I would expect, and I cannot imagine it being
designed that way.

Somebody who actually knows what's going on...?

Cheers,
Dan

> Cheers,
>
> Benno

Re: Correct behaviour of "DROP DATABASE"

Дата:
Ben Leslie <benno@sesgroup.net> writes:
> I was wondering what the expected behaviour of "DROP DATABASE" was.

> Basically the problem i have is that when I drop a database it seems
> to drop only some of the associated tables.

That is *real* hard to believe, considering that the entire database
including system catalogs is physically removed (rm -rf no less) by
DROP DATABASE.  There is nothing left in which table names could
appear, mixed-case or otherwise, much less the tables themselves.

What PG version are you running, and exactly what are you doing that
gives you unexpected results?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Correct behaviour of "DROP DATABASE"

От
Ben Leslie
Дата:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ben Leslie <benno@sesgroup.net> writes:
> > I was wondering what the expected behaviour of "DROP DATABASE" was.
>
> > Basically the problem i have is that when I drop a database it seems
> > to drop only some of the associated tables.
>
> That is *real* hard to believe, considering that the entire database
> including system catalogs is physically removed (rm -rf no less) by
> DROP DATABASE.  There is nothing left in which table names could
> appear, mixed-case or otherwise, much less the tables themselves.
>
> What PG version are you running, and exactly what are you doing that
> gives you unexpected results?

Sorry, my bad. I managed to screw things up so it looked as though
that is what was happening, but it wasn't.

Apologies for wasting time.

Benno