Обсуждение: how critical is WAL

how critical is WAL

От
Rini Dutta
Дата:
Hi,

I happenned to come across the following in the
documentation on WAL implementation in v7.1 -

Before WAL, any crash during writing could result in:

    1.index tuples pointing to non-existent table rows

    2.index tuples lost in split operations

    3.totally corrupted table or index page content,
because of partially written data pages

Does anybody know what kind of a problem this refers
to ? Does this mean that incomplete transactions would
be stored or does this mean that the entire table
might get corrupted and unusable, implying loss of all
data ?

( I am using postgresql v7.0.x , and would ideally
like to  migrate to v7.1 after a few months ... unless
it is critical enough to do so earlier. )

Thanks,
Rini

Re: how critical is WAL

Дата:
> Hi,
>
> I happenned to come across the following in the
> documentation on WAL implementation in v7.1 -

> Before WAL, any crash during writing could result in:
>
>     1.index tuples pointing to non-existent table rows
>
>     2.index tuples lost in split operations
>
>     3.totally corrupted table or index page content,
> because of partially written data pages

Indexes could get corrupt, requiring rebuilding.  That problem is gone
with WAL.  Transaction commits where always safe.

Re: how critical is WAL

От
Rini Dutta
Дата:
--- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I happenned to come across the following in the
> > documentation on WAL implementation in v7.1 -

> > Before WAL, any crash during writing could result
> in:
> >
> >     1.index tuples pointing to non-existent table
> rows
> >
> >     2.index tuples lost in split operations
> >
> >     3.totally corrupted table or index page
> content,
> > because of partially written data pages

> Indexes could get corrupt, requiring rebuilding.
> That problem is gone
> with WAL.  Transaction commits where always safe.

Thanks. I was specifically asking about Result '3'
above mentions 'totally corrupted table page content
because of partially written data pages' . Is this
also repairable ?

Re: how critical is WAL

Дата:
> > Indexes could get corrupt, requiring rebuilding.
> > That problem is gone
> > with WAL.  Transaction commits where always safe.
> >

> Thanks. I was specifically asking about Result '3'
> above mentions 'totally corrupted table page content
> because of partially written data pages' . Is this
> also repairable ?

I never heard of that happening to anyone.

Re: how critical is WAL

От
Rini Dutta
Дата:
I'm glad about that ! The documentation led me to
believe that it was imperative to move to the version
using WAL, perhaps the documentation could be modified
to remove Result '3' if it has not hapenned to
anybody.

Thanks
Rini

--- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > > Indexes could get corrupt, requiring rebuilding.
>
> > > That problem is gone
> > > with WAL.  Transaction commits where always
> safe.
> > >

> > Thanks. I was specifically asking about Result '3'
> > above mentions 'totally corrupted table page
> content
> > because of partially written data pages' . Is this
> > also repairable ?
>
> I never heard of that happening to anyone.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |
> http://candle.pha.pa.us
>   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
> 853-3000
>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe
> Avenue
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel
> Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Re: how critical is WAL

От
Boszormenyi Zoltan
Дата:
> > > Indexes could get corrupt, requiring rebuilding.
> > > That problem is gone
> > > with WAL.  Transaction commits where always safe.
> > >

> > Thanks. I was specifically asking about Result '3'
> > above mentions 'totally corrupted table page content
> > because of partially written data pages' . Is this
> > also repairable ?
>
> I never heard of that happening to anyone.

Sorry to disappoint you but it seems to be the case with my crash.

One of our customers accindentally switched off his machine.
This is a shop with 5500+ items. The table contained these items
were lost. All the other tables (bills, partners, etc.) were in
good shape, select retrieved all data from them.

I looked into the postgres manuals and as it suggests, I stopped
postmaster and I tried to reindex this table in a standalone
postgres. "reindex table" (without force) did not reindexed.
"reindex index" dumped core. I dropped the primary index and
tried to recreate it, but it also dumped core.

I guess it falls under the 3rd category of your listed types of data loss.
:-(

The question still is : is this kind of failure repairable?

The system is: RH 6.2, kernel-2.2.16-3, postgresql-7.0.3 rpms from
ftp.postgresql.org.

Regards,
Zoltan Boszormenyi

Re: Re: how critical is WAL

Дата:
> I looked into the postgres manuals and as it suggests, I stopped
> postmaster and I tried to reindex this table in a standalone
> postgres. "reindex table" (without force) did not reindexed.
> "reindex index" dumped core. I dropped the primary index and
> tried to recreate it, but it also dumped core.
>
> I guess it falls under the 3rd category of your listed types of data loss.
> :-(
>
> The question still is : is this kind of failure repairable?
>
> The system is: RH 6.2, kernel-2.2.16-3, postgresql-7.0.3 rpms from
> ftp.postgresql.org.

Oh, I see.  I don't know of any way to repair it.