Обсуждение: Varchar Indexing

Varchar Indexing

От
mitch
Дата:
Is there a size limit on indexable varying character fields?

I need a semi-large varchar field (say 2048 characters) but really need
the speed of an index in searching, I'm left wondering at what point
indexing varchar fields becomes useless (if it ever does)..

Thanks!

-Mitch

Re: Varchar Indexing

Дата:
mitch <mitch@venux.net> writes:
> Is there a size limit on indexable varying character fields?

1/3rd page, about 2700 bytes, if you're using btree index.

Presently, TOAST does not help any :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: Varchar Indexing, Null Bytes

От
Alvar Freude
Дата:
Hi,

Tom Lane schrieb:

> mitch <mitch@venux.net> writes:
> > Is there a size limit on indexable varying character fields?
>
> 1/3rd page, about 2700 bytes, if you're using btree index.

and for the "text" data type?

other question:

is it possible to store 0-bytes in a text field?

Ciao
  Alvar