Обсуждение: can't run on TCP/IP ports

can't run on TCP/IP ports

От
Patrick Raphael
Дата:
When I attempt to run postmaster on a TCP/IP socket, I get the following
error:

FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Permission denied
        Is another postmaster already running on that port?
        If not, remove socket node (/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432)
and retry.
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

There is no other postmaster running, there is nothing in
/var/run/postgresql, nothing else is on port 5432(switching to another
port doesn't make a difference), I am logged on as user postgres, the
user postgres owns all files in the postgres home directory, and
postmaster works fine with UNIX domain sockets.  Does anyone have any
other ideas what could be wrong?  I am running Debian 2.2

Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Patrick Raphael wrote:

> When I attempt to run postmaster on a TCP/IP socket, I get the following
> error:
>

> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Permission denied
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, remove socket node (/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432)
> and retry.
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
>

> There is no other postmaster running, there is nothing in
> /var/run/postgresql, nothing else is on port 5432(switching to another
> port doesn't make a difference), I am logged on as user postgres, the
> user postgres owns all files in the postgres home directory, and
> postmaster works fine with UNIX domain sockets.  Does anyone have any
> other ideas what could be wrong?  I am running Debian 2.2

Telnet to port 5432 and see if something answers.  Are you running
something like portsentry or something that may be listening on it?

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports

От
Patrick Raphael
Дата:
I figured out the problem, postmaster when run as postgres didn't have
write permissions to /var/run/postgresql directory (where the Debian
version puts its socket files) and therefore didn't have permission to
open the socket. .

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Patrick Raphael wrote:
>

> > When I attempt to run postmaster on a TCP/IP socket, I get the following
> > error:
> >

> > FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Permission denied
> >         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
> >         If not, remove socket node (/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432)
> > and retry.
> > /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
> >

> > There is no other postmaster running, there is nothing in
> > /var/run/postgresql, nothing else is on port 5432(switching to another
> > port doesn't make a difference), I am logged on as user postgres, the
> > user postgres owns all files in the postgres home directory, and
> > postmaster works fine with UNIX domain sockets.  Does anyone have any
> > other ideas what could be wrong?  I am running Debian 2.2
> >

> Telnet to port 5432 and see if something answers.  Are you running
> something like portsentry or something that may be listening on it?
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports

Дата:
Patrick Raphael <praphael@vt.edu> writes:
> I figured out the problem, postmaster when run as postgres didn't have
> write permissions to /var/run/postgresql directory (where the Debian
> version puts its socket files) and therefore didn't have permission to
> open the socket. .

ROTFL ... score one for the Debian package's gratuitously non-standard
placement of the sockets ...

(Nothing to do with you, Patrick, but this has been a sore spot for
awhile with some of us.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Patrick Raphael wrote:

  >I figured out the problem, postmaster when run as postgres didn't have
  >write permissions to /var/run/postgresql directory (where the Debian
  >version puts its socket files) and therefore didn't have permission to
  >open the socket. .

What Debian version of postgresql?  The installation should have set the
permissions on the directory to

drwxr-xr-x    2 postgres postgres     1024 Feb  3 21:11 /var/run/postgresql

     "Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye
      everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come
      in. Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and
      mighty, the LORD mighty in battle."
                                   Psalms 24:7,8

Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports

От
Alessio Bragadini
Tom Lane wrote:

> > I figured out the problem, postmaster when run as postgres didn't have
> > write permissions to /var/run/postgresql directory (where the Debian
> > version puts its socket files) and therefore didn't have permission to
> > open the socket. .
>
> ROTFL ... score one for the Debian package's gratuitously non-standard
> placement of the sockets ...

I beg to differ. I didn't jump in the last thread, but I believe
/var/run is a more safe and standard place than putting everything under
/tmp. There is a problem with that package, not a general problem of
policy.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
        -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925