Обсуждение: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

От
Frank Joerdens
Дата:
I am faced with the task of installing, configuring, and tuning my
database, which is currently running under Linux, under Solaris 7 on a
brand-new and shiny Sun UltraSPARC (3 CPUs, 768 MB RAM), because the sysadmin at the site
hasn't used or installed PostgreSQL and would rather have me do it. Is
this actually supported? The FAQ (the one bundled with the 7.1 beta3
which I'll be using) lists only:

sparc_solaris - SUN SPARC on Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1

If it is supported (I don't suppose a little OS version number increment
would make a differnce here), I've never used Solaris or anything other
than Intel-based hardware and am looking for some info on what to watch
out for and consider when installing and tuning PostgreSQL on Solaris on
a SPARC plattform. Aside from the shared memory stuff in the Admin
Guide, I haven't found anything so far. Particularly, I would expect
that you could gain a significant performance boost from running the
database on a 64 bit plattform (without knowing exactly why, only
picking up on word-of-mouth and assorted hype on 64 bit architectures).
How do you get the most out of it? Would I use gcc or the native Sun
compiler (how do you control that anyway)?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Frank

Re: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
First, you read the installation instructions.  Then, if specific problems
come up you send specific problem reports.  But I think we have this
platform pretty much covered.  Good luck.

Frank Joerdens writes:

> I am faced with the task of installing, configuring, and tuning my
> database, which is currently running under Linux, under Solaris 7 on a
> brand-new and shiny Sun UltraSPARC (3 CPUs, 768 MB RAM), because the sysadmin at the site
> hasn't used or installed PostgreSQL and would rather have me do it. Is
> this actually supported? The FAQ (the one bundled with the 7.1 beta3
> which I'll be using) lists only:
>
> sparc_solaris - SUN SPARC on Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1
>
> If it is supported (I don't suppose a little OS version number increment
> would make a differnce here), I've never used Solaris or anything other
> than Intel-based hardware and am looking for some info on what to watch
> out for and consider when installing and tuning PostgreSQL on Solaris on
> a SPARC plattform. Aside from the shared memory stuff in the Admin
> Guide, I haven't found anything so far. Particularly, I would expect
> that you could gain a significant performance boost from running the
> database on a 64 bit plattform (without knowing exactly why, only
> picking up on word-of-mouth and assorted hype on 64 bit architectures).
> How do you get the most out of it? Would I use gcc or the native Sun
> compiler (how do you control that anyway)?
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Frank

Re: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

Дата:
Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> I am faced with the task of installing, configuring, and tuning my
> database, which is currently running under Linux, under Solaris 7 on a
> brand-new and shiny Sun UltraSPARC (3 CPUs, 768 MB RAM), because the
> sysadmin at the site hasn't used or installed PostgreSQL and would
> rather have me do it. Is this actually supported? The FAQ (the one
> bundled with the 7.1 beta3 which I'll be using) lists only:

> sparc_solaris - SUN SPARC on Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1

After you build PG and test it, send us a port report, and we'll add
Solaris 7 to the list of recently tested platforms.  That's how it
works ...

> Would I use gcc or the native Sun
> compiler (how do you control that anyway)?

Try 'em both --- set CC environment variable before running configure
to control configure's choice of compiler.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

От
Gunnar R|nning
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> > sparc_solaris - SUN SPARC on Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1
>
> After you build PG and test it, send us a port report, and we'll add
> Solaris 7 to the list of recently tested platforms.  That's how it
> works ...

We've had client running pgsql 7.0 on Solaris 7 since early May 2000. No
problems at all.

> > Would I use gcc or the native Sun
> > compiler (how do you control that anyway)?
>
> Try 'em both --- set CC environment variable before running configure
> to control configure's choice of compiler.

Most Solaris 7 installations I've seen come without the Sun compiler as
standard, so gcc is probably your safest bet. You probably have to
/usr/ccs/bin to your path to get ar and friends.

regards,

    Gunnar

Re: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

От
"Martin A. Marques"
Дата:
El Mar 23 Ene 2001 12:38, Frank Joerdens escribió:
> I am faced with the task of installing, configuring, and tuning my
> database, which is currently running under Linux, under Solaris 7 on a
> brand-new and shiny Sun UltraSPARC (3 CPUs, 768 MB RAM), because the
> sysadmin at the site hasn't used or installed PostgreSQL and would rather
> have me do it. Is this actually supported? The FAQ (the one bundled with
> the 7.1 beta3 which I'll be using) lists only:
>
> sparc_solaris - SUN SPARC on Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1

No problem for me. Solaris 7 and 8.

> If it is supported (I don't suppose a little OS version number increment
> would make a differnce here), I've never used Solaris or anything other
> than Intel-based hardware and am looking for some info on what to watch
> out for and consider when installing and tuning PostgreSQL on Solaris on
> a SPARC plattform. Aside from the shared memory stuff in the Admin
> Guide, I haven't found anything so far. Particularly, I would expect
> that you could gain a significant performance boost from running the
> database on a 64 bit plattform (without knowing exactly why, only
> picking up on word-of-mouth and assorted hype on 64 bit architectures).
> How do you get the most out of it? Would I use gcc or the native Sun
> compiler (how do you control that anyway)?

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I guess the 64 bit push you get it compiling. I
mean, memory pages of the OS should be bigger, and the int should also be a
64 bit int, and not a 32 bit int. Maybe there is more then that, but it's all
I have to the moment.
Talking about compiler, I use gcc (compiled with the pre-compiled gcc
binaries) with the the Solaris binutils, especially because it makes life
easier.

Now, it would be a good idea to try Linux or NetBSD on the SPARC instead of
Solaris. I am at this moment getting info on the instalation of Linux distros
and the BSD distros for SPARC, and really think we can get a boost from this.

Hope this helps. ;-)

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.

Re: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

От
Frank Joerdens
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 06:59:16PM -0300, Martin A. Marques wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Now, it would be a good idea to try Linux or NetBSD on the SPARC instead of
> Solaris. I am at this moment getting info on the instalation of Linux distros

Not my decision, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd certainly stick with
Linux.

Regards, Frank