Обсуждение: 7.0.3 rpm testing & other problems

7.0.3 rpm testing & other problems

От
Дата:
I have installed 10 PostgreSQL rpm's:

    postgresql-7.0.3-2.i386.rpm > postgresql-tk-7.0.3-2.i386.rpm

           (including postgresql-test-7.0.3-2.i386.rpm)

obtained from PostgreSQL.org web site.  All of the rpm's installed
without a hitch on my RH6.1 system.

I have noticed many discrepancies between the 7.0.3-2 doc's and my
installation, most having to do with the directory structure.
My *rpm installation seems to have a different dir structure
from the *tar.gz installation the docs are talking about.

For example, the regression testing section of the docs refers to:

    /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress (< does not exist in my install)

While my installation has:

    /usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress

While there were no problems with the rpm install, as least as far as
rpm was concerned, I remain unsure if everything is installed properly.
I decided to run the regression tests.  Only, I'm running into problems.

From '/usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress/README':

    "To prepare for regression testing, do "make all" in the regression
    test directory."

That result of that instruction is:

    $ make all
    GNUmakefile:15: ../../Makefile.global: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `../../Makefile.global'.  Stop.

Using 'gmake' gives the same result.

I would appreciate opinions/info on the/my rpm install.
Is it correct?
Am I missing something?

Does anyone have suggestion for getting the testing done?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - mjbjr@beaudesign.com -

    PGP Public Key ID: 0xCED9BD8A  Key Server: http://www.keyserver.net/en/

Re: 7.0.3 rpm testing & other problems

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
mjbjr@beaudesign.com writes:

> I have noticed many discrepancies between the 7.0.3-2 doc's and my
> installation, most having to do with the directory structure.
> My *rpm installation seems to have a different dir structure
> >from the *tar.gz installation the docs are talking about.

The RPMs install into a different directory hierarchy than the default
configuration from source.  You ought to read all file name references in
the documentation as effectively being followed by "or the equivalent
location in your installation".

There's a file README.rpm in /usr/share/doc/postgresql-* (or equivalent
path in your installation :-) ) that describes the directory layout and
other things.

> I decided to run the regression tests.  Only, I'm running into problems.

Look into README.rpm for how to run the tests.  The tests are not really
designed to be run from a binary package, therefore the procedure is
somewhat different.

jpilley writes:

> I do not have a /usr/share/doc/postgresql-* (or equivalent path) :). I
> would love to read
> the README.rpm file, if the 7.0.3 rpm had left me one!

On my system this file belongs to package postgresql-7.0.2-17, but the
packaging has not changed with 7.0.3.  On your system the documentation
files might be under /usr/doc instead of /usr/share/doc.

Re: 7.0.3 rpm testing & other problems

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
[GENERAL only -- got MX errors on two of the addressees....]
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> jpilley writes:
> > I do not have a /usr/share/doc/postgresql-* (or equivalent path) :). I
> > would love to read
> > the README.rpm file, if the 7.0.3 rpm had left me one!

> On my system this file belongs to package postgresql-7.0.2-17, but the
> packaging has not changed with 7.0.3.  On your system the documentation
> files might be under /usr/doc instead of /usr/share/doc.

Run the following:
rpm -ql postgresql |grep README.rpm-dist
to get the location.  There was a name change in the file due to
confusion in KFM and the GNOME file manager -- they were trying to open
the README with kpackage or GNoRPM....

Thanks for the quick answers, Peter.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: 7.0.3 rpm testing & other problems

От
jpilley
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> mjbjr@beaudesign.com writes:
>
> > I have noticed many discrepancies between the 7.0.3-2 doc's and my
> > installation, most having to do with the directory structure.
> > My *rpm installation seems to have a different dir structure
> > >from the *tar.gz installation the docs are talking about.

-(snipped)>
> There's a file README.rpm in /usr/share/doc/postgresql-* (or equivalent
> path in your installation :-) ) that describes the directory layout and
> other things.
>

> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

I do not have a /usr/share/doc/postgresql-* (or equivalent path) :). I
would love to read
the README.rpm file, if the 7.0.3 rpm had left me one!

John Pilley