Обсуждение: image storing

image storing

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Has anyone setup a postgres server that stores the location of images (or
any file) and is accessed by a windows based client?  In particular postgres
running on a non-windows OS.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: image storing

От
Дата:
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> Has anyone setup a postgres server that stores the location of images (or
> any file) and is accessed by a windows based client?  In particular postgres
> running on a non-windows OS.

Yes, but the access was via a web browser interface.  I just stored the
pathnames in the database.  I had postgres running on a Linux box, and the
images themseleves were on a RAID served through Novell, then converted
into PDF images and stored on another RAID served through Linux.  If you
set up Samba, you could still get to the images even if they were on a
Linux box, but the web browse interface (using Perl as the development
langauge) was by far the easier to use for building an application.

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
design, v.:
    What you regret not doing later on.

Re: image storing

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Yeah, that is what I was thinking... except I would like to keep the
existing Access front end... And the front end displays the pathnames as a
"hyperlink" data type.  I figure I'll have to change that to a string...
just not sure how to keep it so they can just "click" on it and display the
file.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > Has anyone setup a postgres server that stores the location of images
(or
> > any file) and is accessed by a windows based client?  In particular
postgres
> > running on a non-windows OS.
>
> Yes, but the access was via a web browser interface.  I just stored the
> pathnames in the database.  I had postgres running on a Linux box, and the
> images themseleves were on a RAID served through Novell, then converted
> into PDF images and stored on another RAID served through Linux.  If you
> set up Samba, you could still get to the images even if they were on a
> Linux box, but the web browse interface (using Perl as the development
> langauge) was by far the easier to use for building an application.
>
> Brett W. McCoy

http://www.chapelperilous.net
-
> design, v.:
> What you regret not doing later on.

Re: image storing

От
Дата:
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> Yeah, that is what I was thinking... except I would like to keep the
> existing Access front end... And the front end displays the pathnames as a
> "hyperlink" data type.  I figure I'll have to change that to a string...
> just not sure how to keep it so they can just "click" on it and display the
> file.

Hmmm...  That's going to be the trick, I think.  Yeah, I just stored the
pathnames as strings.  In fact, we had people doing DP to this database
with Access, now that I think about it, but they didn't use Access to view
the images, just manipulate the data.  Hyperlink data type.... sheesh!
I'm not sure the tool you use to do data processing should also double up
as a web browser!  That'd be like using a word processor to do graphic
design...

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hlade's Law:
    If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --
    they will find an easier way to do it.

Re: image storing

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Well, it doesn't load the link in itself, it launches the appropriate
application to view it.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > Yeah, that is what I was thinking... except I would like to keep the
> > existing Access front end... And the front end displays the pathnames as
> > "hyperlink" data type.  I figure I'll have to change that to a string...
> > just not sure how to keep it so they can just "click" on it and display
the
> > file.
>
> Hmmm...  That's going to be the trick, I think.  Yeah, I just stored the
> pathnames as strings.  In fact, we had people doing DP to this database
> with Access, now that I think about it, but they didn't use Access to view
> the images, just manipulate the data.  Hyperlink data type.... sheesh!
> I'm not sure the tool you use to do data processing should also double up
> as a web browser!  That'd be like using a word processor to do graphic
> design...
>
> Brett W. McCoy

http://www.chapelperilous.net
-
> Hlade's Law:
> If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --
> they will find an easier way to do it.

Re: image storing

От
"Efrain Caro"
Дата:
But I think that hyperlinks would be a good addition to data types
repertoire to pgsql. Maybe not for the database to be used as web browser
(that was a funny comment, sorry if it were not intended to be so), but for
serving a sites database, for example.

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that is what I was thinking... except I would like to keep the
> > existing Access front end... And the front end displays the pathnames as
> > "hyperlink" data type.  I figure I'll have to change that to a string...
> > just not sure how to keep it so they can just "click" on it and display
the
> > file.
>
> Hmmm...  That's going to be the trick, I think.  Yeah, I just stored the
> pathnames as strings.  In fact, we had people doing DP to this database
> with Access, now that I think about it, but they didn't use Access to view
> the images, just manipulate the data.  Hyperlink data type.... sheesh!
> I'm not sure the tool you use to do data processing should also double up
> as a web browser!  That'd be like using a word processor to do graphic
> design...

Re: image storing

От
Дата:
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Efrain Caro wrote:

> But I think that hyperlinks would be a good addition to data types
> repertoire to pgsql. Maybe not for the database to be used as web browser
> (that was a funny comment, sorry if it were not intended to be so), but for
> serving a sites database, for example.

I'm not sure I follow you.  How would something like this be used in
PostgreSQL, as an example, as opposed to using a string and printing it to
the web browser screen via a CGI script/PHP/Mason/JSP/ASP/etc?  A
hyperlink is just a URL/URI inside a "<a href=""></a>" tag, right?

Yes, the comment was intended to be funny. :-)

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
The hope that springs eternal
Springs right up your behind.
        -- Ian Drury, "This Is What We Find"

Re: image storing

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
   But I think that hyperlinks would be a good addition to data types
   repertoire to pgsql.

And how would the behavior of such a datatype differ from, for
example, a text datatype?  My interpretation would be that if the
consumer of the data wants to display it as a hyperlink, fine, but
that that is the job of the application not the database.  Am I
missing something?

Cheers,
Brook

Re: image storing

От
Jeff Hoffmann
Дата:
Brook Milligan wrote:

>    But I think that hyperlinks would be a good addition to data types
>    repertoire to pgsql.
>
> And how would the behavior of such a datatype differ from, for
> example, a text datatype?  My interpretation would be that if the
> consumer of the data wants to display it as a hyperlink, fine, but
> that that is the job of the application not the database.  Am I
> missing something?

there are a bunch of data types like this that might be interesting to
some people.  some of the reasons that you might want a data type like
this are verification that a URL is valid and the ability to search the
URL's by hostname, protocol, etc.  i can't say that i'd be that
interested in it, but that shouldn't stop somebody from thinking about
doing something like this.

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com

Re: image storing

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> Has anyone setup a postgres server that stores the location of images (or
> any file) and is accessed by a windows based client?  In particular postgres
> running on a non-windows OS.

Check the ImageViewer example in the source
(src/interfaces/jdbc/example/ImageViewer.java

It works fine under Windows, and stores the images on a postgresql
database under Unix ;-)

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk http://www.retep.org.uk