Обсуждение: Creating a DB for another user (or...) (repost attempt)

Creating a DB for another user (or...) (repost attempt)

От
Matthew Rice
Дата:
Hi everyone,

I didn't see this one make it to the list possibly because I was
subscribed under a different address.  So here it is again.

I have an application that wants to do more than GRANT will permit.
I want to be able to add/remove tables/columns.  However, the "user"
that will be performing all of this (plus the regular inserts et al.)
doesn't have permission to create databases.

Is there a way to either assign superuser priviledges/ownership
to that user or to create the database for him?

matthew rice <matt@starnix.com>                               starnix inc.
tollfree: 1-87-pro-linux                        thornhill, ontario, canada

Re: Creating a DB for another user (or...) (repost attempt)

От
Matthew Rice
Дата:
> > Is there a way to either assign superuser priviledges/ownership
> > to that user or to create the database for him?
>
> alter user "name" createdb;

Are you certain?  From the 6.5 docs it says that this will:

    Give a user the ability to create new databases

Are you saying that I temporarily let the user create dbs, create the
db and the remove the ability to create dbs?

BTW, this isn't a system user so how would he run createdb?

matthew rice <matt@starnix.com>                               starnix inc.
tollfree: 1-87-pro-linux                        thornhill, ontario, canada

Re: Creating a DB for another user (or...) (repost attempt)

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:18:23PM -0400, Matthew Rice wrote:

> BTW, this isn't a system user so how would he run createdb?

createdb is just a shell script that runs the postgresql command:

CREATE DATABASE <new db name> ;

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

table count limitation

От
Marcin Inkielman
Дата:
HI!

I have such problem:
Is the amount of tables limited in Postgresql7.0?
Has anybody tried to use EFFECTIVELY a database
with 10000 tables at all?

Thx for help.

Re: table count limitation

От
Jurgen Defurne
Дата:
Marcin Inkielman wrote:

> HI!
>
> I have such problem:
> Is the amount of tables limited in Postgresql7.0?
> Has anybody tried to use EFFECTIVELY a database
> with 10000 tables at all?
>
> Thx for help.

Are you really sure you NEED a database with 10000 tables ?

Jurgen