Обсуждение: 7.0.2 install doesn't read .conf files

7.0.2 install doesn't read .conf files

От
Eugene Lee
Дата:
I've installed 7.0.2 from the tarball (not the RPM) on a Redhat 6.1
system.  The server starts up and runs, but it ignores postgresql.conf
and pg_hba.conf.  I have a "postgres" user set up, default location
"/usr/local/pgsql", conf files located in the "data" subdirectory, added
the paths to $PATH & $MANPATH & /etc/ld.so.conf, ran initdb... did I
miss anything?

My startup script (from contrib) executes the following:

    su - postgres -c "(postmaster 2>&1 | logger -p local5.notice) &" > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Note, no "-i" option.  Instead, I added the line "tcpip_socket = yes"
in the file /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf to enable TCP/IP
socket access.  But the line in the config file doesn't work.  It only
works if I add the "-i" to the command line.  It doesn't matter if I add
the "-D/usr/local/pgsql/data" option or not.

And even if it starts with Internet access enabled, I've only enabled
"local" access in pg_hba.conf

    local        all                                           trust
    host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255     trust

However, instead of being denied outright, I can connect to the default
port from the outside world.  In the logs, it shows up as an entry with
a datetime stamp and a message "Invalid packet length".  Is this normal
PostgreSQL behavior?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net

Re: 7.0.2 install doesn't read .conf files

Дата:
Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net> writes:
> Note, no "-i" option.  Instead, I added the line "tcpip_socket = yes"
> in the file /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf to enable TCP/IP
> socket access.  But the line in the config file doesn't work.

There is no such config file in 7.0.*.  You must be reading the
development-sources documentation at postgresql.org.  See the 7.0
docs included in your distribution (they're also on the website,
but you have to dig a little).

> However, instead of being denied outright, I can connect to the default
> port from the outside world.

By "connect" I suppose you mean you telnet to the port and type a few
random characters?

> In the logs, it shows up as an entry with
> a datetime stamp and a message "Invalid packet length".  Is this normal
> PostgreSQL behavior?

That's about what I'd expect, since authorization checks aren't applied
until the would-be client has sent a connection-request packet.

If you want to prevent the connection from even reaching the postmaster,
I recommend messing around with your firewall's filters.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 7.0.2 install doesn't read .conf files

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net> writes:
> > Note, no "-i" option.  Instead, I added the line "tcpip_socket = yes"
> > in the file /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf to enable TCP/IP
> > socket access.  But the line in the config file doesn't work.
>
> There is no such config file in 7.0.*.  You must be reading the
> development-sources documentation at postgresql.org.  See the 7.0
> docs included in your distribution (they're also on the website,
> but you have to dig a little).

With all due respect, this is getting ridiculous. Can't someone move the
old docs in the right place and the new docs elsewhere?

I'm getting the feeling that this will be a very popular feature though...
:-)

Re: 7.0.2 install doesn't read .conf files

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net> writes:
> > > Note, no "-i" option.  Instead, I added the line "tcpip_socket = yes"
> > > in the file /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf to enable TCP/IP
> > > socket access.  But the line in the config file doesn't work.
> >
> > There is no such config file in 7.0.*.  You must be reading the
> > development-sources documentation at postgresql.org.  See the 7.0
> > docs included in your distribution (they're also on the website,
> > but you have to dig a little).
>
> With all due respect, this is getting ridiculous. Can't someone move the
> old docs in the right place and the new docs elsewhere?
>
> I'm getting the feeling that this will be a very popular feature though...
> :-)

Vince is just finishing up the user-lounge ... he's most likely going to
hate me for this, but:

    http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/

Vince, can we get a proper link to it in ASAP?  I just had fun with
someone who was having a bugger of a time with PL/pgSQL cause he was using
v7 and looking at v6.5 docs :(  pointed him to the v7 docs and the
difference :)

Re: 7.0.2 install doesn't read .conf files

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane writes:

> > > There is no such config file in 7.0.*.  You must be reading the
> > > development-sources documentation at postgresql.org.  See the 7.0
> > > docs included in your distribution (they're also on the website,
> > > but you have to dig a little).
> >
> > With all due respect, this is getting ridiculous. Can't someone move the
> > old docs in the right place and the new docs elsewhere?
> >
> > I'm getting the feeling that this will be a very popular feature though...
> > :-)
>
> Vince is just finishing up the user-lounge ... he's most likely going to
> hate me for this, but:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/
>
> Vince, can we get a proper link to it in ASAP?  I just had fun with
> someone who was having a bugger of a time with PL/pgSQL cause he was using
> v7 and looking at v6.5 docs :(  pointed him to the v7 docs and the
> difference :)

Yeah, I'll get it in the mourning.  I gotta move some graphics over
to hub for the new menu items.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking