Обсуждение: ...

Joerg Hessdoerfer
Subject: PostgreSQL Easy NT attempt

Hi, all!

For those of us who need to do such weird things as run PostgreSQL on
Windows, I tried to create a 'easy to use' one ZIP file installation.

This install is biased towards a 'I just need a DBMS' on NT approach.

You can find the Readme and archive on ftp://129.247.113.222

Greetings,
    Joerg Hessdoerfer
+------****  Science & Engineering Applications GmbH  ****------+
| Joerg Hessdoerfer                                             |
| Leading SW developer Phone:    +49 (0)2203-962211             |
| S.E.A GmbH           Fax:                 -962212             |
| D-51147 Koeln        Internet: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com |
|                                http://www.sea-gmbh.com        |

Re:

От
Lee Johnson
Дата:
just wondering is postgresq a program that will allow similar things as
does microsofts's access......i use access for my current database for
company......

cuz i've noticed in the description things like "server"......which i'm
not on i'm end user of linux looking for  good database for use in linux
to switch over from using access......

thanks
lee

Re:

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Lee Johnson wrote:
> just wondering is postgresq a program that will allow similar things as
> does microsofts's access......i use access for my current database for
> company......

> cuz i've noticed in the description things like "server"......which i'm
> not on i'm end user of linux looking for  good database for use in linux
> to switch over from using access......

PostgreSQL comes with a nice front end called pgaccess that will do most
if not all of what you need under linux.  You will be setting it up
client-server -- just having the client and the server on the same
machine.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re:

От
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Дата:
Lee Johnson <lee@imyourhandiman.com> writes:

> cuz i've noticed in the description things like "server"......which i'm
> not on i'm end user of linux looking for  good database for use in linux
> to switch over from using access......

postgresql is more of a competitor to Microsoft's SQL server than
Microsoft Access. It's a server, and doesn't have the equivalent GUI
functionality of Access.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.