Обсуждение: Procedure Size Limitation

Procedure Size Limitation

От
Terence Gannon
Дата:
In version 6.5.3 (and ealier?) versions of PostgreSQL, there was a
limitation on the size of a procedure...something on the order of 1800
characters.  Has this been eliminatd in 7+?  Is there any limitation to
the size of a procedure written in plpgsql?

Re: Procedure Size Limitation

От
Ed Loehr
Дата:
Terence Gannon wrote:

> In version 6.5.3 (and ealier?) versions of PostgreSQL, there was a
> limitation on the size of a procedure...something on the order of 1800
> characters.  Has this been eliminatd in 7+?  Is there any limitation to
> the size of a procedure written in plpgsql?

I believe the limit was around 2700, and it is reportedly fixed in 7.*.
There is a blocksize limit (8K?) for rows, and procedures are stored as a
column in a row.

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#4.6

The blocksize limit is configurable, but I seem to recall there being
some concern by Jan Wieck (plpgsql creator) that changing the blocksize
was not advisable.  Check deja.com for more details...

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: Procedure Size Limitation

Дата:
Terence Gannon <tgannon@stoneboat.com> writes:
> In version 6.5.3 (and ealier?) versions of PostgreSQL, there was a
> limitation on the size of a procedure...something on the order of 1800
> characters.  Has this been eliminatd in 7+?  Is there any limitation to
> the size of a procedure written in plpgsql?

7.0 is better, but not there yet.  We still have the tuple-size
constraint for function definitions, but we did get rid of the index
on prosrc that led to a circa-2500-byte limit on definition length.
Now the limit is ~8K, or ~32K if you want to run with nonstandard
BLCKSZ.

7.1 should fix this problem for real.

            regards, tom lane