Обсуждение: ODBC

ODBC

От
"Stuart Grimshaw"
Дата:
I'm having a problem connecting to my Postgres server with ODBC.

When I try and connect I get the error :

Could not connect to the server;
Could not connect to remote socket

I'm using Postgres v7.0, and I've allowed my local network
(10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0) access through pg_hba.conf with :

host    all    10.0.0.0    255.0.0.0    trust

the IP of the machine I'm connecting from is 10.0.0.2, so that's covered.

The post is set to 5432 by postmaster.opts (the default) and the ODBC driver
is trying to connect to that port too.

---------------------------------------
 Stuart Grimshaw         |
 Schoolsnet LTD          |   Special
 www.schoolsnet.com      |   Projects
                         |   Developer
 stuart@smgsys.fsnet.co.uk
---------------------------------------

Re: ODBC

Дата:
"Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart@smgsys.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
> I'm having a problem connecting to my Postgres server with ODBC.
> When I try and connect I get the error :

> Could not connect to the server;
> Could not connect to remote socket

> I'm using Postgres v7.0, and I've allowed my local network
> (10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0) access through pg_hba.conf with :

> host    all    10.0.0.0    255.0.0.0    trust

> the IP of the machine I'm connecting from is 10.0.0.2, so that's covered.

That pg_hba.conf entry looks OK, but I suspect that you are not getting
as far as having the postmaster consult that file.  Looking at the code
of our ODBC driver, I see that the error message "Could not connect to
remote socket." is issued in only one place, namely if the connect()
kernel call fails.  That means that you are unable to open a channel to
the postmaster at all, let alone try to be authenticated as an allowed
host/user.  I suspect network-level problems, or possibly specification
of the wrong port number for the postmaster (though you say you checked
that).

Unfortunately the ODBC code neglects to notice exactly why the connect()
call failed --- it'd be mighty useful here to know what errno code the
kernel returned.  I'd suggest trying it with a libpq-based client,
which will include the kernel error code in its error message in this
situation, or else altering the ODBC code to print out errno when it
gets this failure.  That'd give us something more to go on.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ODBC

От
Charles Tassell
Дата:
If it's the connect is failing, have you checked to make sure you have
started postmaster with the -i option to allow TCP/IP connections?

At 02:21 PM 5/29/00, Tom Lane wrote:
>"Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart@smgsys.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
> > I'm having a problem connecting to my Postgres server with ODBC.
> > When I try and connect I get the error :
>
> > Could not connect to the server;
> > Could not connect to remote socket
>
> > I'm using Postgres v7.0, and I've allowed my local network
> > (10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0) access through pg_hba.conf with :
>
> > host    all    10.0.0.0    255.0.0.0    trust
>
> > the IP of the machine I'm connecting from is 10.0.0.2, so that's covered.
>
>That pg_hba.conf entry looks OK, but I suspect that you are not getting
>as far as having the postmaster consult that file.  Looking at the code
>of our ODBC driver, I see that the error message "Could not connect to
>remote socket." is issued in only one place, namely if the connect()
>kernel call fails.  That means that you are unable to open a channel to
>the postmaster at all, let alone try to be authenticated as an allowed
>host/user.  I suspect network-level problems, or possibly specification
>of the wrong port number for the postmaster (though you say you checked
>that).
>
>Unfortunately the ODBC code neglects to notice exactly why the connect()
>call failed --- it'd be mighty useful here to know what errno code the
>kernel returned.  I'd suggest trying it with a libpq-based client,
>which will include the kernel error code in its error message in this
>situation, or else altering the ODBC code to print out errno when it
>gets this failure.  That'd give us something more to go on.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Re: ODBC

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart@smgsys.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
> > I'm having a problem connecting to my Postgres server with ODBC.

> > Could not connect to the server;
> > Could not connect to remote socket

> That pg_hba.conf entry looks OK, but I suspect that you are not getting
> as far as having the postmaster consult that file.  Looking at the code

Or -i is not being specified on the postmaster invocation.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: ODBC

От
"Stuart Grimshaw"
Дата:
Thanks to everyone that suggested -i, but looking in my postmaster.opts
file, it's already there.

There is an error number mentioned in the dialog box that
appears, -2147467259. It's when I'm trying to connect with pgAdmin.

I can connect to the database via telnet with "psql". I would try to connect
to the server with ODBC locally, but I don't know how.

 stuart@smgsys.fsnet.co.uk