Обсуждение: PyGres DB Connection in Zope drops when many Users are added (UserDB)

PyGres DB Connection in Zope drops when many Users are added (UserDB)

От
Stephan Richter
Дата:
Hello everyone,

This is a help message to every mailing list, I think this issue could be
related to. We are in production and 5000 flyers (45000 follow) were sent
out and the site keeps giving problems.

I use:
Zope 2.1.4, PyGres 2.x, Apache, and PostGres 7.0RC1

The issue:
It seems like that whenever "many" (10, I know that is not much) people
sign up at the same time on our Web Site (http://www.plandepot.com), we
loose the DB connection. The connection is simple restored, when
disconnecting and the reconnecting the database.
Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the error outside of business
hours, so I had never the chance to inspect the issue in detail. I
personally do not think it is PostGreSQL or Zope, since I would have read
more about it.
I have to mention, that PyGres is not thread safe and by default Zope uses
more than one thread if required. So could that be the issue? How do I
setup Zope in a way, that it uses only one thread? Also, I do not use any
of the caching features in Zope SQL Methods either.

Any ideas are appriciated.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter - (901) 573-3308 - srichter@cbu.edu
CBU - Physics & Chemistry; Framework Web - Web Design & Development

Re: [Zope] PyGres DB Connection in Zope drops when many Users are added (UserDB) (UserDB)

От
"J. Atwood"
Дата:
Have you tried running AB against some of the pages and watching the
connections happen? Also, try playing around with the cache. I found
that I could change the load times and db performance by playing with
Zope db caching.  I would also hate to mention it but 7 is still
beta. Can you try it on 6.5.3 and see if it still happens?

At 1:19 AM -0500 4/25/2000, Stephan Richter wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>This is a help message to every mailing list, I think this issue
>could be related to. We are in production and 5000 flyers (45000
>follow) were sent out and the site keeps giving problems.
>
>I use:
>Zope 2.1.4, PyGres 2.x, Apache, and PostGres 7.0RC1
>
>The issue:
>It seems like that whenever "many" (10, I know that is not much)
>people sign up at the same time on our Web Site
>(http://www.plandepot.com), we loose the DB connection. The
>connection is simple restored, when disconnecting and the
>reconnecting the database.
>Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the error outside of
>business hours, so I had never the chance to inspect the issue in
>detail. I personally do not think it is PostGreSQL or Zope, since I
>would have read more about it.
>I have to mention, that PyGres is not thread safe and by default
>Zope uses more than one thread if required. So could that be the
>issue? How do I setup Zope in a way, that it uses only one thread?
>Also, I do not use any of the caching features in Zope SQL Methods
>either.

Re: [Zope] PyGres DB Connection in Zope drops when many Users are added(UserDB)(UserDB)

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Stephan Richter wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is a help message to every mailing list, I think this issue could be
> related to. We are in production and 5000 flyers (45000 follow) were sent
> out and the site keeps giving problems.
>
> I use:
> Zope 2.1.4, PyGres 2.x, Apache, and PostGres 7.0RC1
>
> The issue:
> It seems like that whenever "many" (10, I know that is not much) people
> sign up at the same time on our Web Site (http://www.plandepot.com), we
> loose the DB connection. The connection is simple restored, when
> disconnecting and the reconnecting the database.

And that's exactly how we quick-fixed it :)

    def getUser(self, name):
        """Return the named user object or None if no such user exists"""
        try:      # koos elluäratamisega
            try:
                ob=self.sqlUserQuery(username=name)
            except:
                conn = getattr(self,self.conn_id)
                conn.connect(conn.connection_string)
                ob=self.sqlUserQuery(username=name)
        except:
            return None
        if not ob:
            return None
        ob=ob[0]
        return User(sqlattr(ob, 'username'),
                    sqlattr(ob, 'password'),
                    sqlattr(ob, 'roles'),
                    sqlattr(ob, 'domains'))

It does not find or solve the original problem, but at least it revives it
automatically

--------------
Hannu

Re: [Zope] PyGres DB Connection in Zope drops when many Users are added (UserDB) (UserDB)

От
Stephan Richter
Дата:
At 06:21 AM 4/25/00 -0400, J. Atwood wrote:
>Have you tried running AB against some of the pages and watching the
>connections happen? Also, try playing around with the cache. I found that
>I could change the load times and db performance by playing with Zope db
>caching.  I would also hate to mention it but 7 is still beta. Can you try
>it on 6.5.3 and see if it still happens?

I am sorry, I should have mentioned: It originally occurred with PostGres
6.5.3.
What is AB? If everything fails, I will try the caching options. I just do
not want to introduce new variables to the game.

Regards,
Stephan