Обсуждение: Critical Upgrade Instruction Bug?

Critical Upgrade Instruction Bug?

От
phil@Stimpy.netroedge.com
Дата:
I followed the upgrade instructions carefully, and got to this step:

psql -e template1 < db.out

After a while of waiting (and a lot of stuff scrolling past), it
started producing these (after getting into a table with a lot of
entries)):

[...]
query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded
query line ignored
\smod

query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded
query line ignored
\elevant output from the syslog when the modules are inserted.
[...]

It seems that pgsql doesn't like all the info shoved down it's throat
at once. :'( I used the current (6.5.3) pgdump_all to produce the dump
from the old release, and then installed 6.5.3.  I checked the drive,
and it isn't full.

I get better results with:

bash /usr/src/pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/dg_dumpall -d > /tmp/db-backup

Instead of:

bash /usr/src/pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/dg_dumpall  > /tmp/db-backup

W/ each instance being a separate insert, things seem happier (but
slower).  But, permissions on DB's are lost and mysteriously many
tables are empty.... urrrggg!!!

Ideas?  I'm going from 6.3.? to 6.5.3.

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil

Re: [GENERAL] Critical Upgrade Instruction Bug?

От
Ed Loehr
Дата:
phil@Stimpy.netroedge.com wrote:

> [...]
> query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded
> query line ignored
> \smod

IIRC, that usually happens when a string delimiter is missing.  Maybe
look for embedded apostrophes or something wonky with pgdump?

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: [GENERAL] Critical Upgrade Instruction Bug?

От
phil@Stimpy.netroedge.com
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:04:22PM -0600, Ed Loehr wrote:
> phil@Stimpy.netroedge.com wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > query buffer max length of 16384 exceeded
> > query line ignored
> > \smod
>
> IIRC, that usually happens when a string delimiter is missing.  Maybe
> look for embedded apostrophes or something wonky with pgdump?
>
> Regards,
> Ed Loehr

I eventually got things working mostly with:

bash ./pg_dumpall -d -z > /tmp/dbnight.txt

At least this preserved permissions.  I still had some tables
mysteriously be empty.  So dumping those specific tables and
re-importing those seemed to do the trick.  I'm hoping that this mess
is a result of bugs in the old version I was running (further
justifying the upgrade). I *think* I was running 6.3.0... my old
src/include/version.h said:

[...]
#define PG_RELEASE              6
#define PG_VERSION              3
#define PG_VERFILE              "PG_VERSION"
[...]

This was prompted when a DB mysteriously corrupted it's self last
night after a year or so of use.  (yikes!)  But, I managed to dump it
and re-import it - saving most of the data, but I thought a better
permenent solution was to upgrade.

Anyways, things seems to work as they were, although a *LOT* faster
(about 5x?). :')

Thanks!

Phil