Обсуждение: copying databases

copying databases

От
Marco Giardini
Дата:
 i have created a DB on one server using postgresql 6.5.3 and now i need
to move this DB to a machine running the postgresql 6.3 release (theone
shipped with debian slink).
I'd like to know how to move the DB from one server to the other and
eventually if there are any incompatibility passing from the new release
to a older one.
Thanks for replying to marco@tecnogi.com

.oesse.
+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|m|a|r|c|o| |g|i|a|r|d|i|n|i|
+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
TecnoGi spa                                   Tel. +39 0321 885422
Strada per Gravellona                         Fax  +39 0321 885333
Borgolavezzaro (NO)                         http://www.tecnogi.com
Key fingerprint = B5 B4 AA 91 89 50 43 8F  B1 6B C6 8C 34 79 5A 7F

Re: [GENERAL] copying databases

От
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Дата:
On Monday 21 February 2000, at 14 h 34, the keyboard of Marco Giardini
<marco@tecnogi.com> wrote:

>  i have created a DB on one server using postgresql 6.5.3 and now i need
> to move this DB to a machine running the postgresql 6.3 release (theone
> shipped with debian slink).

The simplest solution is 'pg_dump BASE' on one machine and 'psql -f FILE BASE' on the other. It frees you from
Postgres'versions.

[The only problem I know is if you use BLOBs.]

Re: [GENERAL] copying databases

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2000-02-21, Marco Giardini mentioned:

>  i have created a DB on one server using postgresql 6.5.3 and now i need
> to move this DB to a machine running the postgresql 6.3 release (theone
> shipped with debian slink).

pg_dump it to a file and read it back in with psql. Chances are you won't
have much luck though, since what 6.5.3's pg_dump creates is generally
only intended for later releases. Software is generally not optimized for
downgrading. ;)