Обсуждение: Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

От
Didier Gasser-Morlay
Дата:
Hi everyone,

I've been using MS Sql Server for the last 4 years on NT and I am quite
fed-up with it.
So I am now seriously considering a move towards LINUX and I investigate
the serious DB offering and PostgreSql Seems to come as a really strong
candidate.

however I have some question, which I hope you will not mind answering :

A. In SQl server I use a LOT of stored procedures which to me are a good
way to isolate the front end from the 'business logic'. In order to use
those Stored procedures one has to be able to create variables, cursors
(even outside a transaction). What would be the equivalent in
PostGresSql ?

B. I have seen a fair amount of projects listed on the Web site, but it
does not say much so my question is are there any heavy users of PG so
far (by heavy I mean db with 150+ tables, 150 users, 3000 insert/update
transactions a day + three times as much Selects) .... and really
business-critical apps.

C. Any good books on PGS ?

D. MS Sql server 6.5 has some stupid limitations such as 16 tables max
in a join, 16 indexes per table, 6 (I believe) levbel of cascading
trigger. I couldnot see any of those limits in PGS but did I overlooked
anything ?

E. I am confused about the NT version of PGS. Does it exists natively or
does it requires support DLLs and libraries to work.

I realize this is quite a heavy set of questions and I thank you in
advance for the time you'll spend answering

Didier Gasser-Morlay

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily
represent those of Visual Communications Group or its principal
operating
divisions (FPG, Telegraph Colour Library, Planet Earth Pictures,
Colorific!, Pix, Giraudon, Bavaria Bildagentur).
which
it is addressed, and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please do not
read,
copy, use or disclose this communication; and please notify the sender
immediately. It should be noted that any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking action in reliance upon, this
prohibited.

Re: [GENERAL] Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

От
"J. Roeleveld"
Дата:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been using MS Sql Server for the last 4 years on NT and I am quite
> fed-up with it.
> So I am now seriously considering a move towards LINUX and I investigate
> the serious DB offering and PostgreSql Seems to come as a really strong
> candidate.
>
> however I have some question, which I hope you will not mind answering :
>
> A. In SQl server I use a LOT of stored procedures which to me are a good
> way to isolate the front end from the 'business logic'. In order to use
> those Stored procedures one has to be able to create variables, cursors
> (even outside a transaction). What would be the equivalent in
> PostGresSql ?

I'm currently in the progress of moving a company database from Access to
PostgreSQL, and am taking the same approach. PostgreSQL has the ability to
create functions, using variables, it's even possible to use C-code, and if
I'm not
mistaken Perl, although I have only been using native SQL and PLPGSQL
for my functions.

> B. I have seen a fair amount of projects listed on the Web site, but it
> does not say much so my question is are there any heavy users of PG so
> far (by heavy I mean db with 150+ tables, 150 users, 3000 insert/update
> transactions a day + three times as much Selects) .... and really
> business-critical apps.

For this I'd best point you to a recent discussion on this list, concerning
PostgreSQL and mission-critical-applications, since alot of information
about this
has been discussed in that thread.

> C. Any good books on PGS ?

Yep, sort of anyway. There are several documents available on the ftp-sites,
and
an online HTML-guide. I've taken the liberty to make a print-out of the
various
documents (900+ pages in total) and they have been of great help to me.

There is also a work-in-progress for a book to be published in early 2000,
although I don't know the specifics at this point. Since I will have to
check thru my
archives for that.

> D. MS Sql server 6.5 has some stupid limitations such as 16 tables max
> in a join, 16 indexes per table, 6 (I believe) levbel of cascading
> trigger. I couldnot see any of those limits in PGS but did I overlooked
> anything ?

I'm not familiar with some of the terms you mention, I have read about some
problems with Joins though, but the View-system is a very good alternative
for
me.

> E. I am confused about the NT version of PGS. Does it exists natively or
> does it requires support DLLs and libraries to work.

It is my understanding that it is possible to compile the server on NT,
using
a certain library, although I seriously advise against using NT for
mission-critical
applications. Especially since NT tends to crash when there are alot of
connections.
(example: NT news-server crashed and went down for nearly a week, after just
20
 simultaneous connections)

> I realize this is quite a heavy set of questions and I thank you in
> advance for the time you'll spend answering

I just hope that the time i spent answering will one day be spent answering
my questions :)

> Didier Gasser-Morlay

Joost Roeleveld

Re: [GENERAL] Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Didier Gasser-Morlay wrote:

> I've been using MS Sql Server for the last 4 years on NT and I am quite
> fed-up with it.
> So I am now seriously considering a move towards LINUX and I investigate
> the serious DB offering and PostgreSql Seems to come as a really strong
> candidate.

Of course some might tell you that we run equally well on FreeBSD, etc. No
reason to jump straight to Linux because it's the anti-MS savior. Just so
you know.

> A. In SQl server I use a LOT of stored procedures which to me are a good
> way to isolate the front end from the 'business logic'. In order to use
> those Stored procedures one has to be able to create variables, cursors
> (even outside a transaction). What would be the equivalent in
> PostGresSql ?

Btw., it's spelled "PostgreSQL".

Anyway, we have all sorts of functions and procedures as well, but they
don't have the exact same functionality as "stored procedures" in other
DBMS's. I recommend that you look through the archives for stored
procedures, because there are _extended_ discussions taking place every so
often, which might explain the details to you.

> B. I have seen a fair amount of projects listed on the Web site, but it
> does not say much so my question is are there any heavy users of PG so
> far (by heavy I mean db with 150+ tables, 150 users, 3000 insert/update
> transactions a day + three times as much Selects) .... and really
> business-critical apps.

There also was a thread recently whether PostgreSQL is ready for mission
critical stuff. Look through that. The largest database I know of is about
60GB. There a several people having thousands of tables and thousands of
transactions an hour, so you should be safe there.

> C. Any good books on PGS ?

One is currently being written. You can follow the progress on the web
site.

> D. MS Sql server 6.5 has some stupid limitations such as 16 tables max
> in a join, 16 indexes per table, 6 (I believe) levbel of cascading
> trigger. I couldnot see any of those limits in PGS but did I overlooked
> anything ?

I'm not aware of them.

> E. I am confused about the NT version of PGS. Does it exists natively or
> does it requires support DLLs and libraries to work.

Requires Cygnus porting library.

Re: [GENERAL] Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

Дата:
> B. I have seen a fair amount of projects listed on the Web site, but it
> does not say much so my question is are there any heavy users of PG so
> far (by heavy I mean db with 150+ tables, 150 users, 3000 insert/update
> transactions a day + three times as much Selects) .... and really
> business-critical apps.

That is small for us.

Re: [GENERAL] Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

Дата:
> There is also a work-in-progress for a book to be published in early 2000,
> although I don't know the specifics at this point. Since I will have to
> check thru my
> archives for that.

Go to our web site at www.postgresql.org, and look at the FAQ &
Documentation page.  That is were you should start.  The book is there,
and the documentation is there too.

RE: [GENERAL] Completely new and discovering PostGresSql

От
"Darvin Zuch"
Дата:
I'm in the midst of Switching form SQL Server 6.5 to PostgreSQL.  After
looking at the Procedural Languages in PostgreSQL and the apparent steep
learning curve I opted to segment my business logic into Java Object which
are very Web / Webserver freindly.  I'm running with > 2GB of data and
several hundred TSQL stored procedures.
This allows me to easily switch to easily switch to a higher performance DB
engine (like Oracle) in the future with out such a long conversion period or
learning time.  Java Objects can be made into .DLL's for C integration.

You might want to consider the same.

Darvin Zuch
AutoProfile - Canda

> [...]

for
me.

> E. I am confused about the NT version of PGS. Does it exists natively or
> does it requires support DLLs and libraries to work.

It is my understanding that it is possible to compile the server on NT,
using
a certain library, although I seriously advise against using NT for
mission-critical
applications. Especially since NT tends to crash when there are alot of
connections.
(example: NT news-server crashed and went down for nearly a week, after just
20
 simultaneous connections)

> I realize this is quite a heavy set of questions and I thank you in
> advance for the time you'll spend answering

I just hope that the time i spent answering will one day be spent answering

Joost Roeleveld