Обсуждение: [GENERAL][SQL] Getting multiple field unique index to distinguish NULLs.

[GENERAL][SQL] Getting multiple field unique index to distinguish NULLs.

От
Stuart Rison
Дата:
Dear All,

Consider the following table:

myscheme_id|level1|level2|level3|level4|function
-----------+------+------+------+------+-------------------------------
         11|     4|     5|     1|     3|Long John Silver
         12|  1242|     3|    44|     5|Metabolism
         13|     1|     2|     3|     4|Transport
          1|     1|     4|     3|      |Energy
          9|     1|     2|     3|     1|Signaling
          3|     1|     2|     3|     2|test1
         18|     1|     2|      |      |test2
         19|     1|     2|      |      |test3
         21|     1|     2|      |      |test4

This is essentially a hierarchical key set-up; each function can be
identified by a key (which can be thought of as the concatenation of
level1, level2, level3 and level4).

But you can add a function at any level (i.e. only level1 must be given)
so:

INSERT INTO myscheme_funcat (level1,function) VALUES (1,'Top level
function');

is OK.

I am trying to get the database to reject INSERTS for keys already
occupied

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
(level1,level2,level3,level4);

The problem is that the indexing considers all NULLs to be distinct thus:

INSERT INTO myscheme_funcat (level1,level2,level3,level4,function) VALUES
(4,5,76,NULL,'OK');
INSERT 1044737 1

but so does
INSERT INTO myscheme_funcat (level1,level2,level3,level4,function) VALUES
(4,5,76,NULL,'Should fail because position 4.5.76 already occupied');
INSERT 1044738 1

Works because 4,5,76,NULL is considered DISTINCT from 4,5,76,NULL (all
NULLs are different).

So, any ideas, workarounds etc.??

cheers,

S.

### Please Note New Details ###
Stuart C. G. Rison
Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Tel. 0207 504 2303, Fax. 0207 380 7193
e-mail: s.rison@biochem.ucl.ac.uk

Re: [GENERAL][SQL] Getting multiple field unique index to distinguish NULLs.

От
Stuart Rison
Дата:
Hi Tom,

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> > The problem is that the indexing considers all NULLs to be distinct thus:
>
> Don't use NULLs ... declare the columns as NOT NULL, and select some
> special value for the fields you want to consider unused.  Zero maybe,
> or an empty string if the columns are text.

Fair enough, and indeed it's a solution I've been using but, for the sake
of argument, what if I couldn't do it?

I though of using a index and functions such as:

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
(level1, null_to_zero(level2), null_to_zero(level3),
null_to_zero(level4));

but saddly, you can't use functions in that way to define indices or at
least not in this way...

I tried

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
(make_key(level1,level2,level3,level4) text_ops);

Where make_key essentially concatenates the levels into a '.' separated
key (e.g. 1 or 1.2.1 or 2.4.1.6).

Now this would work except that there's a problem with pl/pgSQL such that
when you pass several values to a plpgsql function and one of them is
NULL, then all values passed to the function become NULL.

The solution would be something like:

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
(make_key(level1,null_to_zero(level2),null_to_zero(level3),
null_to_zero(level4));

But saddly you can't have "sub-function" in the CREATE INDEX statement.

So:

1) yes, the solution would be to use 0 or somesuch token value for 'NULL'
2) but I wondered if anybody had ventured into the kind of stuff mentioned
above
3) and if anybody have solved the pl/pgSQL 'issue' that turns all values
to NULL?

Regards,

Stuart.

Re: [GENERAL][SQL] Getting multiple field unique index to distinguish NULLs.

От
Beth Strohmayer
Дата:
Is this problem with NULLS being treated as distinct values only apparent
in regards to Indices?  If you do a Select Distinct or a Group By using
these fields does it display the duplicate rows with nulls? I know this
doesn't offer any help but I was just curious...

Beth  :-)
   / Beth L Strohmayer / Software Engineer    _____)
  /  ITT Industries, Systems Division        (_____|______________________
/   @ Naval Research Laboratory, Code 5542  |                            \
\   4555 Overlook Ave. SW                   |  Phone: (202) 404-3798      \
  \  Washington, DC  20375                   |    Fax: (202) 404-7942       \
   \_________________________________________|                              /
                                             |____________________________/

At 11:37 AM 09/10/1999 , Stuart Rison wrote:
>Hi Tom,
>
>On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > > The problem is that the indexing considers all NULLs to be distinct thus:
> >
> > Don't use NULLs ... declare the columns as NOT NULL, and select some
> > special value for the fields you want to consider unused.  Zero maybe,
> > or an empty string if the columns are text.
> >

>Fair enough, and indeed it's a solution I've been using but, for the sake
>of argument, what if I couldn't do it?
>
>I though of using a index and functions such as:
>
>CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
>(level1, null_to_zero(level2), null_to_zero(level3),
>null_to_zero(level4));
>
>but saddly, you can't use functions in that way to define indices or at
>least not in this way...
>
>I tried
>
>CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
>(make_key(level1,level2,level3,level4) text_ops);
>
>Where make_key essentially concatenates the levels into a '.' separated
>key (e.g. 1 or 1.2.1 or 2.4.1.6).
>
>Now this would work except that there's a problem with pl/pgSQL such that
>when you pass several values to a plpgsql function and one of them is
>NULL, then all values passed to the function become NULL.
>
>The solution would be something like:
>
>CREATE UNIQUE INDEX myscheme_idx ON myscheme_funcat
>(make_key(level1,null_to_zero(level2),null_to_zero(level3),
>null_to_zero(level4));
>
>But saddly you can't have "sub-function" in the CREATE INDEX statement.
>
>So:
>
>1) yes, the solution would be to use 0 or somesuch token value for 'NULL'
>2) but I wondered if anybody had ventured into the kind of stuff mentioned
>above
>3) and if anybody have solved the pl/pgSQL 'issue' that turns all values
>to NULL?
>
>Regards,
>
>Stuart.
>

>************

Re: [GENERAL][SQL] Getting multiple field unique index to distinguish NULLs.

Дата:
Stuart Rison <rison@biochemistry.ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> Now this would work except that there's a problem with pl/pgSQL such that
> when you pass several values to a plpgsql function and one of them is
> NULL, then all values passed to the function become NULL.

Yes.  That's not plpgsql's fault; there's a basic design limitation in
the function-call interface (only one isnull flag gets passed).  There
has been some talk on the pghackers list of fixing this, but I do not
know if it will happen any time soon or not.  Fixing that interface
would mean revising *all* the code that implements any SQL function or
operator, so it'd be pretty tedious --- and it'd break any C-coded
user functions, too.  It'll probably get done eventually, maybe even
for 6.6, but don't hold your breath...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Getting multiple field unique index to distinguish NULLs.

От
Stuart Rison
Дата:
On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Stuart Rison <rison@biochemistry.ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> > Now this would work except that there's a problem with pl/pgSQL such that
> > when you pass several values to a plpgsql function and one of them is
> > NULL, then all values passed to the function become NULL.
>
> Yes.  That's not plpgsql's fault; there's a basic design limitation in
> the function-call interface (only one isnull flag gets passed).  There
> has been some talk on the pghackers list of fixing this, but I do not
> know if it will happen any time soon or not.  Fixing that interface
> would mean revising *all* the code that implements any SQL function or
> operator, so it'd be pretty tedious --- and it'd break any C-coded
> user functions, too.  It'll probably get done eventually, maybe even
> for 6.6, but don't hold your breath...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Aha!  Thanks a lot for that Tom, I've been wondering for ages if this NULL
behaviour was just a version things (I've got 6.4.2) or a more profound
'problem'.

Hum... how unfortunate that it's the latter.  Personally, and this is
completely sellfish -I use functions quite a lot- I'd love to see this
fixed asap!  Alas, can't do it myself, I barely managed to get 'hello
world' to work in C (he weeps)...

Whilst I'm on a whimsical trip, my other top wishes remain:

1) outer joins (not 'workarounds')
2) referential integrity (not refint.c)

Still PG is top-tastic all the same.  Thanks to all Hackers out there!