Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] Large Object questions...

Re: [GENERAL] Large Object questions...

От
"John Huttley"
Дата:
You just haven't met the right application yet.

in the manual there is a discussion on other methods that were previosly
used.

The PG system is good, with minor limitations in the lo*  API.

I'm busy writing a faxserver application where all the fax page data is
stored as a blob.

Its just so easy to use...

>I have never understood why people would store binary data in an SQL
>database.  Am I missing something?

Re: [GENERAL] Large Object questions...

От
Howie
Дата:
On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, John Huttley wrote:

> You just haven't met the right application yet.
>
> in the manual there is a discussion on other methods that were previosly
> used.
>
> The PG system is good, with minor limitations in the lo*  API.
>
> I'm busy writing a faxserver application where all the fax page data is
> stored as a blob.
>
> Its just so easy to use...

ahhh, found a 'lo' library in contrib/lo/ which seems to handle most of my
needs.  had to put a trigger on the table that removed the associated
object when its row was removed.

the one thing i miss is the ability to determine a lo's size (
hinthintnudgenudgewinkwink ).

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

Re: [GENERAL] Large Object questions...

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
At 08:31 +0300 on 30/07/1999, John Huttley wrote:

> I'm busy writing a faxserver application where all the fax page data is
> stored as a blob.
>
> Its just so easy to use...

How will you be backing it up? pg_dump never dumped large objects.

IMO, if you need a specialized backup script, plus a non-standard interface
for writing into them and reading from them, and they are not deleted when
you drop the row referring to them, then you may as well use files, and
store only the path in Postgres for easy lookup.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma