Обсуждение: 6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

От
Sebestyen Zoltan
Дата:
I tried to compile $(subject) and run into the following problem: When
compiling interfaces\libpq library I couldn't compile fe-connect.c:
The compiler complained that the PQconnectdb's definition and declaration
doesn't match! And I found out that after precompiling, at the definition
of the function (i.e. NOT in the header!) changes, see below:

That line is from the header(libpq-fe.h)
        extern PGconn *PQconnectdb(const char *conninfo);

That one from fe-connect.c:
extern PGconn *PQconnectdb(const char *conninfo)

And this line above changes to the one below after precompiling :(((:
extern PGconn *PQconnectdb( char *conninfo)

What went wrong?

Sebestyén Zoltán <szoli@netvisor.hu>    Things must changed we must rearrange
                    them, or we'll have to estrange them.
                    All that I'm saying the game's not
MAKE INSTALL NOT WAR            worth playing over and over again.

I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.

                 Kick me! Whip me!! Make me develop on AIX!!!

Re: [GENERAL] 6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

Дата:
> I tried to compile $(subject) and run into the following problem: When
> compiling interfaces\libpq library I couldn't compile fe-connect.c:
> The compiler complained that the PQconnectdb's definition and declaration
> doesn't match! And I found out that after precompiling, at the definition
> of the function (i.e. NOT in the header!) changes, see below:
>
> That line is from the header(libpq-fe.h)
>         extern PGconn *PQconnectdb(const char *conninfo);
>
> That one from fe-connect.c:
> extern PGconn *PQconnectdb(const char *conninfo)
>
> And this line above changes to the one below after precompiling :(((:
> extern PGconn *PQconnectdb( char *conninfo)
>
> What went wrong?

I have heard this complaint before.  Are you running 6.5beta or 6.4.
I think this is fixed in 6.5beta.  What is precompiling?  I am not sure.

Re: [GENERAL] 6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

От
Sebestyen Zoltan
Дата:
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have heard this complaint before.  Are you running 6.5beta or 6.4.
> I think this is fixed in 6.5beta.  What is precompiling?  I am not sure.
I meant to say C preprocessing..

Sebestyén Zoltán <szoli@netvisor.hu>    I can't choose what I can't believe
                    That the way of life is to live and grieve
MAKE INSTALL NOT WAR            'cause I see living as a place in the sun
                    and the world as a place for a kingdom to come

I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.

                 Kick me! Whip me!! Make me develop on AIX!!!

Re: [GENERAL] 6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

Дата:
> On Thu, 27 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have heard this complaint before.  Are you running 6.5beta or 6.4.
> > I think this is fixed in 6.5beta.  What is precompiling?  I am not sure.
> I meant to say C preprocessing..

Yikes, your preprocessor output is removing const.  Hmmm.

There is a line in include/config.h which says:

    /* Define const as empty if your compiler doesn't grok const. */
    /* #undef const */

Now, this is set by configure if it determines your compiler can't
handle const.  Please check that, and can you run configure with a 'set
-x' at the top to figure out why it thinks you can't handle const,
because I assume you can.  I also don't understand why const is being
removed from the definition, but not the include file.

Now, at least it makes some sense.

Re: [GENERAL] 6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

От
Sebestyen Zoltan
Дата:
> There is a line in include/config.h which says:
>
>     /* Define const as empty if your compiler doesn't grok const. */
>     /* #undef const */

Thanks for the suggestion, now this problem is solved.. and got another
one.. in the odbc source, there's a yacc generated file called pgc.l that
can't be processed by flex it says some line contains error. Do you think
6.5beta is stable enough to use?
Sebestyén Zoltán <szoli@netvisor.hu>    I want to tell you my side of the case
                    I'm not a politician, I'm a businessman
MAKE INSTALL NOT WAR

I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.

                 Kick me! Whip me!! Make me develop on AIX!!!

Re: [GENERAL] 6.4.2 on DEC Alpha

Дата:
You should get the current snapshot.  We are a week away from final
release, and it should be much better in many areas.  Not sure why pgc
is failing.