Обсуждение: RE: [GENERAL] Archive logging

RE: [GENERAL] Archive logging

От
Glenn Wiens
Дата:
Sorry -- I should have clarified my terms. What I am
referring to is the ability to recover the database to
any select point in time.

Oracle(tm) calls this a redo log, and, when archiving
is turned on, there is a continuous string of historic
transactions that can be applied, if necessary, to a
previously taken backup, thereby recovering to a
point-in-time.

Glenn Wiens

--- "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson@cpsgroup.com> wrote:
> > When is implementation of archive logging planned
> for
> > Postgresql? I searched the archives but couldn't
> find
> > references to this. I understand, however, that
> this
> > is a planned feature.
> >
> Excuse me for being dense, but what are you talking
> about?
> Transaction logging perhaps?
>     -DEJ

Re: [GENERAL] Archive logging

Дата:
> Sorry -- I should have clarified my terms. What I am
> referring to is the ability to recover the database to
> any select point in time.
>
> Oracle(tm) calls this a redo log, and, when archiving
> is turned on, there is a continuous string of historic
> transactions that can be applied, if necessary, to a
> previously taken backup, thereby recovering to a
> point-in-time.

They keep their transaction rollback log in a separate area, and back
that up periodically to do the restores.  We keep our rollback stuff in
the database, and it says until a vacuum is performed.  That makes it
harder for us to pull out the redo log information for seprate periodic
backup.

redhat6

От
ramon
Дата:
Can i run the latest postgresql on redhat6.0?

thanks,
ramon

Re: [GENERAL] redhat6

От
Thorsten Hofrichter
Дата:
yes

Thorsten Hofrichter

(912) 451-8786 - Pager
thholr@alef.gcsu.edu - Email
http://alef.gcsu.edu/~thholr

Re: [GENERAL] Archive logging

От
jerome doucerain
Дата:
You may start postmaster with -d2 option. This will trace your SQL requests.
If you redirect output to a flat file, you will get near a redo log file. The
only thing you have to do is to filter this redo log file to keep only
insert, update, delete SQL statements. So combined with backup, you are able
to rebuild your database until the last instant :
first step you restore from last backup
second step apply updates kept in redo log file
The matter is to synchronize "end of backup" and "begin of redo log". You may
stop postmaster, do a cold backup, and then restart postmaster on a new redo
log.
Jerome