Обсуждение: Empty Date Field

Empty Date Field

От
"fabian baena"
Дата:
Hi, could any one tell me how can I tell postgres that a date field I made
in a table can be empty.

I created a table with a field like that but I didn't tell it "not null" in
the declaration, and when I try to fill this table with an empty date it
gives me an error.

Thank you.

Fabian.

Re: [GENERAL] Empty Date Field

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
"fabian baena" wrote:
  >Hi, could any one tell me how can I tell postgres that a date field I made
  >in a table can be empty.
  >
  >I created a table with a field like that but I didn't tell it "not null" in
  >the declaration, and when I try to fill this table with an empty date it
  >gives me an error.

If you don't mention the field in an update or insert, it will automatically
be null.  You can't fill it with the empty string.  You can specifically
make it null:

insert into tablex (dtfield) values (null);

     "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast,
      unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord,
      forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain
      in the Lord."      I Corinthians 15:58

Re: [GENERAL] Empty Date Field

От
Chris Bitmead